The University supports providing time off to employees in the event of a death in the immediate family.
- Qualifying employees are allowed up to 2 weeks of bereavement leave within 60 days of the death of a covered family member.
- A FMLA/OFLA request form should be submitted to Human Resources.
- If necessary, an employee may request to use additional earned leave credits or if earned leave credits are not available, leave without pay subject to supervisory approval, at the time of death of an immediate family member.
- Based on Oregon law, "immediate family" includes the spouse, same-sex domestic partner, biological, adoptive, or foster parent, child, parent, grandparent, or grandchild, parent-in-law, or a person with whom the employee was in an in loco parentis relationship.
- Are eligible for a maximum of four (4) days paid bereavement leave arising from the death in the immediate family.
- SEIU contract states "immediate family" same as Oregon law but also includes, opposite-sex domestic partner, brother, sister, son-in-law, daughter in law, or another member of the immediate household.
- Additional leave, other than sick leave, may be granted to provide additional time to a classified employee for bereavement purposes.
Unclassified employees are eligible to use earned sick leave credits for bereavement leave in accordance with Oregon law.