Finding an Internship
To find the right internship or volunteer work experience for you, it is important to ask yourself a few helpful questions such as:
- What kind of institution do you want to work with?
- Do you have an interest in a particular geographical area or issue area?
- What do you want to do with this internship?
- Are you willing to gain experience by volunteering alone, or are you only seeking paid internships?
Talk to other International & Global Studies majors who have had internships and look out for campus announcements about non-governmental organizations (NGOs), non-profits, and inter-governmental organizations (IGOs). Attend PSU Career Fairs and monitor the postings on Handshake. You can also visit the Career Center page to find other helpful information.
Once You Find an Internship
- Find a faculty sponsor (choose a full-time faculty member in International and Global Studies)
- Fill out the Internship Agreement form (PDF) and the online By-Arrangement request. Return the Internship Agreement form to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Upon completion of your internship program, remind your internship supervisor to fill out and return an Internship Evaluation to your faculty sponsor.
- Students who are undertaking an internship abroad that they have arranged independently, and who are requesting faculty sponsorship for credit are also required to read and sign a Release and Assumption of Risk form (PDF).
- Only eight credits of internships can count towards major requirements in International and Global Studies
- U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID): Student Intern Program
- Virtual Student Federal Service
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO)
- International Labor Organization
- Institute of World Affairs
- World Affairs Council of Oregon
- United Nations Development Internship Program
- World Bank
INTERNATIONAL DEVELOPMENT ORGANIZATIONS
- ACDI / VOCA
- Amnesty International
- Council on International Educational Exchange Work / Volunteer Abroad Programs
- OXFAM International
- Stanford University's Africa Internship Database
- Transparency International
ENVIRONMENT & GLOBAL HEALTH ORGANIZATIONS
- ACCION International
- Thousand Currents
- A3M: Asians for Miracle Marrow Matches
- Global Health Council Internship Program
- World Relief
- American Red Cross
- American Refuge Committee
EDUCATION & HUMAN RIGHTS ORGANIZATIONS
- America-Mideast Educational and Training Services (AMIDEAST)
- Teach for America
- Institute of International Education
- Grassroots International