Graduate Degrees - Application Process
For MS and PhD applicants who are applying to start in the Fall quarter and wish to receive priority consideration for funding as Graduate Research or Teaching Assistants the deadline is:
- Priority Fall - First Monday of January
For all other applicants, the deadlines are:
- Fall - April 1
- Winter - September 1*
- Spring - November 1
*Please note: A new PSU University Application system will be launching on September 1, 2015. To avoid any inconvenience associated with this transition, we recommend that Winter 2016 applicants submit the university application and pay the application fee by August 31.
Please note: PSU switched to a new application process on September 1, 2015. If you have already submitted a university application and have paid the $65 application fee prior to September 1 but have not yet submitted a departmental application, please contact the department at email@example.com for instructions on how to apply.
To apply to the graduate program, please visit PSU's Graduate Admissions website to access the online graduate application.
Portland State University's graduate application requires the following documents:
- Copies of your transcripts from each post-secondary institution attended
- Proof of English language proficiency (for applicants whose first language is not English)
International applicants must also submit:
- Official degree certificate/diploma
- Official translation of transcripts
- Proof of English language proficiency
- Financial documentation demonstrating adequate financial support for at least the first year of study
In addition to the above requirements, the program-specific sections of the application require the following information and documents:
- Your degree option (MEng, MS - Project, MS - Thesis, or PhD)
- Your selected concentration area (Structural, Transportation, Geotechnical, or Environmental/Water Resources)
- An adviser preference (PhD only). Since the PhD student must have a supervising adviser for admittance, all prospective PhD students must contact one of the faculty members in their research area of interest prior to submitting their PhD application. Please note that the PhD program is offered only in the Structural, Transportation, and Environmental/Water Resources concentration areas.
- A statement of purpose describing your long term career goals and why you are applying to the graduate program. You should clearly describe your research interests and strengths. This is an important statement. Please limit your statement to no more than one page.
- A current resume or curriculum vitae
- The email addresses of three (3) people who will provide letters of recommendation for you. Select these carefully. At least one reference should be a faculty member from a previous degree program/academic institution who is familiar with your academic performance. Please note: your recommenders will each receive a recommendation request via email. You will be able to check the status of your letters of recommendation, send reminder emails to recommenders, and send requests to new recommenders by logging in to your online account. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that letters of recommendation are submitted on time.
- GRE scores (required for MS and PhD applicants who do not have a previous degree from a university in the United States, strongly recommended for all other MS and PhD applicants, not required for MEng applicants). In addition to entering your scores on the application, please have official scores sent directly to PSU from ETS using the following codes:
- PSU School Code: 4610
- CEE Department Code: 1102
Failure to supply complete and accurate information will subject a student to the University’s policies governing academic dishonesty. Incomplete applications will not be considered.