What to expect from the internship:
- Apply the knowledge and skills you have been gaining through the sociology major by working with a community organization.
- Work as an unpaid intern for a minimum of 8 hours per week for 10 weeks.
- Complete reading and writing assignments relating your internship experience to your sociology coursework.
- Attend six in-person class meetings (Fridays from 1-2 pm during weeks 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 and Monday from 1-2 pm during finals week)
- Earn four upper-level credits (Sociology 404: Sociology Internship)
How to enroll in the Sociology Internship:
1. Attend an informational meeting with internship supervisor (via phone or in person); contact Dr. Maura Kelly (email@example.com) to set up a meeting.
2. Apply for an internship in two ways:
- Apply for an internship with one of the current sociology partner organizations
i. Apply via https://forms.gle/2VnniMcDW9WY9YU99;
ii. Once you have submitted an application, you will receive an email letting you know the restricton has been lifted and you can register for SOC 404. You will later receive a separate email letting you know if you have been matched or not.
- Apply to propose your own internship site
i. Identify and contact a community organization to set up an internship;
ii. Finalize the details with your proposed organization and then apply via https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScj0YoLL8Kb7heY2ANXbMx6vZEaZg15YXKOtcNXD9ReltZLEw/closedform;
iii. Once you have submitted an application and the internship coordinator confirms the details with your proposed supervisor, you will receive an email letting you know that your site has been approved and the restriction has been lifted and you can register for SOC 404.
3. Internship sites must be approved by the end of finals week of the term before the internship (for Fall internships, one week before the start of the term). Any student who does not match with a partner site or does not have their proposed site approved by this time will be dropped from the course.
For Winter and Spring internships, application will be open from Monday of week 7 to Monday of week 10 of the term before the internship. For Fall internships, applications will be open from five weeks before classes start to two weeks before classes start.
The Sociology Internship is open to Sociology majors only.