Diversity Scholarship Program
The Diversity Scholarship program promotes diversity and student participation in campus life through volunteerism and academic excellence. Scholarship recipients will share their unique strengths and diverse perspectives through their involvement in on-campus activities, in the classroom and through their participation in community service. The Diversity Scholarship is a renewable tuition-remission credit in the amount of 12 undergraduate credits at the resident tuition rate excluding fees (actual amount varies).
This scholarship attracts outstanding students from diverse backgrounds, including racial and ethnic backgrounds that are traditionally underrepresented in higher education and pursuing their first bachelors degree. The Diversity Scholarship gives preferences to those who are/have:
- Oregon residents
- Financial need (federally defined)
- First-generation* college students
* First-generation is defined as neither parent has a 4-year college degree from a U.S. university.
The Diversity Scholarship Application is now available online! In an effort to maximize a student's ability to secure funding, we highly encourage all students to apply for this scholarship through the online application. The online process will allow students to be considered for not only the Diversity Scholarship, but other scholarships that have similar criteria without having to complete multiple applications. Please click on the following link to begin the application:
We know that not all students have access to reliable technology. For students that do not have access to the necessary technology to complete the online application we have provided a downloadable Diversity Scholarship Application.
- NOTE: You must submit your application either completely online or completely on paper. You must choose 1 method only to ensure your application is reviewed.
Important Information, Dates and Deadlines
- Application Deadline: Applications (online or faxed) MUST be in our office, SMSU 425, on or before February 1, 2020 by 11:59 pm. Please note, February 1, 2020 is a Saturday and the DMSS office will be closed. If you plan to mail or drop off a paper application, it MUST be in our office by Friday, January 31st, 2020, by 5:00 pm.
- February 1, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. Pacific Standard Time (P.S.T.): Deadline for Scholarship Applications.
- Application Deadline: Applications (online or faxed) MUST be in our office, SMSU 425, on or before the deadline. Please note, If you plan to mail or drop off a paper application, it MUST be in our office by, the designated deadline (see previous bullet point) by 5:00pm.
- If you choose to submit an online application you must submit the full application online including letters of recommendation and transcripts.
- Online applications that do not have uploaded transcripts or online letters of recommendation will be considered incomplete.
- The online application requires applicants to provide email addresses for all recommenders. As soon as an email is entered instructions will be emailed to recommenders directly. Please enter email addresses for your recommenders as soon as possible so your recommenders have enough time to complete the recommendation prior to the deadline.
- Printed letters of recommendation and transcripts will only be accepted for paper applications.