Watch Virtual Multicultural Graduation
Friday, June 12th, 2020 at 6:00 pm PST
Watch on Facebook Live on the Cultural Resource Centers Facebook Page
Register for Virtual Multicultural Graduation (Closed)
- Must be logged into your pdx.edu account to register
- Registration will open Monday, April 27th at 12:00 pm PST and close Thursday, May 7th at 12:00 pm PST
- Registered students will be featured in the virtual celebration and when it is possible, be sent a certificate and stole to celebrate your accomplishments
- Registration is FREE but limited based on the number of ordered stoles
Apply to be a Student Speaker (Closed)
Each year, Multicultural Graduation features speeches from members of the graduating class. This year, as we change to a virtual event, we are excited to share that we will feature three student speakers - this is more than we had in previous years. Our hope is to feature your voices and stories in a meaningful way. Each of you has an important story and we hope you will consider sharing it with your fellow graduates.
Student speakers will deliver a 2-minute pre-recorded speech that discusses:
- The Student's Experiences at PSU
- Message to their fellow multicultural graduates
- The Multicultural Graduation theme:
- Delight in the wonder of (R)evolutionary Futures: American poet and civil rights activist, Maya Angelou said, “we delight in the beauty of the butterfly, but rarely admit the changes it has gone through to achieve that beauty.” Today, each one of you is that butterfly. You have encountered numerous obstacles and challenges during your time as students at Portland State University. Now it is time to look at what is next. What (r)evolutionary futures are ahead of you? How will you evolve into the next phase of your best self? You are leaders in your family, your communities, and the paths you create will help guide your younger siblings, cousins, and neighbors to their own (r)evolutionary futures. So here you are, on butterfly day, marking the closing of one journey, yet the opening of another. And while this new path may include ambiguity, remember that evolution comes in cycles, and that your futures are wonders to delight in.
What is Multicultural Graduation?
Multicultural Graduation is an annual Cultural Resource Centers ceremony that honors diversity and celebrates cultural traditions by creating a student-centered inclusive space to celebrate the graduation of multicultural students. This is different than PSU Commencement. Multicultural Graduation is not a degree conferring ceremony.
Who participates in Multicultural Graduation?
Often, students who frequent the Cultural Resource Centers, our events, or use services from Diversity & Multicultural Student Services and International Student Services participate in this ceremony. However, any Portland State University student who is graduating between January 1st, 2020 and January 1st, 2021 can participate in Multicultural Graduation (Graduate students included!) Please note, space is limited.
When is Multicultural Graduation?
The 2020 Virtual Multicultural Graduation will include pre-recorded material that we are working to stream live Friday, June 12th, 2020, 6pm Pacific Standard Time.
2020 Virtual Multicultural Graduation
The unprecedented unfolding events this spring term has left us all bewildered.
Like many of you, we did not expect things to unfold as they have. As you may have heard, PSU’s main 2020 PSU Commencement ceremony will be held online. Similar to other smaller ceremonies, our annual Multicultural Graduation will also be held virtually.
We share in your disappointment. We acknowledge that many of you consider this experience as a unique milestone in your academic journey. Many of you are the first in your family to earn a post-secondary degree, are students of color who have overcome multiple barriers in your path to graduation, and are international students who left the familiar in the hopes of bringing new ways of learning back to your home countries.
We are all experiencing undeniable sadness and grieve this loss of an in-person celebration with you and your loved ones. We share the sorrow and sense of loss that so many of you are feeling, and we will move forward together to bring our school year to a close in the most meaningful way possible.
The Multicultural Graduation planning committee is committed to honoring your years of work and dedication with a special virtual ceremony supported by student input. Our committee includes Cultural Resource Centers leadership, stakeholders from across campus, and students - all of whom are dedicated to celebrating your accomplishments.
When we return to campus, we will evaluate and consider how we can honor our 2020 multicultural graduates in-person, to the best of our ability.
Multicultural Graduation Co-Chairs:
- Ahmed El Mansouri, Coordinator, Middle Eastern, North African, South Asian (MENASA) Initiative
- Stacie Taniguchi, Assistant Director, Cultural Resource Centers