Virtual Multicultural Graduation 2021
Friday, June 11th, 2021 at 6:00 pm PST
Watch on Facebook Live on the Cultural Resource Centers Facebook Page
Watch This Year's Virtual Multicultural Graduation 2021
REGISTER FOR VIRTUAL MULTICULTURAL GRADUATION (CLOSED)
- Must be logged into your pdx.edu account to register
- Registration will open Monday, March 29th at 12:00 pm PST and close Friday, April 9th at 12:00 pm PST
- Registered students will be featured in the virtual celebration and when it is possible, be sent a certificate and stole to celebrate your accomplishments
- Registration is FREE but limited based on the number of ordered stoles
Apply to be a Student Speaker (CLOSED)
Each year, Multicultural Graduation features speeches from members of the graduating class. This year we are excited to share that we will feature three student speakers. Our hope is to feature your voices and stories in a meaningful way. Each of you has an important story and we hope you will consider sharing it with your fellow graduates.
Student speakers will deliver a 2-minute pre-recorded speech that discusses:
- The Student's Experiences at PSU
- Message to their fellow multicultural graduates
- The Multicultural Graduation theme: As you find yourself standing at the end of your PSU journey, look ahead to the future that has yet to be created. Audre Lorde, a self-described Black, lesbian, mother, warrior, and poet, once said “To refuse to participate in the shaping of our future is to give it up. Do not be misled into passivity either by false security or by despair. Each of us must find our work and do it.” Now more than ever, we must seek to heal ourselves, and heal one another. Recent times have shown us that participation through storytelling and active listening cultivates a community of love, compassion, and solidarity; thus forming a united front, making way to bring light to what can become a better and stronger future. Be sure to tell your story.
What is Multicultural Graduation?
Multicultural Graduation is an annual Cultural Resource Centers ceremony that honors diversity and celebrates cultural traditions by creating a student-centered inclusive space to celebrate the graduation of multicultural students. This is different than PSU Commencement. Multicultural Graduation is not a degree conferring ceremony.
Who participates in Multicultural Graduation?
Often, students who frequent the Cultural Resource Centers, our events, or use services from Diversity & Multicultural Student Services and International Student Services participate in this ceremony. However, any Portland State University student who is graduating between January 1st, 2021 and January 1st, 2022 can participate in Multicultural Graduation (Graduate students included!) Please note, space is limited.
When is Multicultural Graduation?
The 2021 Virtual Multicultural Graduation will include pre-recorded material that we are working to stream live Friday, June 11th, 2021, 6pm Pacific Standard Time.