PSUAA's Commitment to Racial Equity
These past weeks have brought new energy and urgency to a conversation the PSU Alumni Association has long been having: how can we better support our alumni who are Black, Indigenous or people of color (BIPOC). We want our organization’s work to better reflect the needs, interests, hopes and dreams of the diverse alumni we serve, and we invite you to join us in conversation about what this could look like.
The PSU Alumni Association supports the Black Lives Matter movement and the inclusionary values of Portland State University. We commit to turning that solidarity into action. Here’s what we are doing to get started:
- Using our channels to amplify the stories and voices of BIPOC alumni.
- Building a business network to increase visibility of Black alumni-owned businesses in the Portland area
- Working to increase representation of BIPOC alumni on our volunteer Board of Directors and Alumni Advocates.
- Supporting the development of culturally specific alumni groups led by members of our alumni community.
- Putting resources and attention toward examining and dismantling systems of oppression within our own organization.
- Committing to making diversity, equity and inclusion a priority in our upcoming strategic planning process, which launches in 2021.
We want to be active, transparent and accountable in these efforts, and we invite your ideas and feedback.
Mary Coniglio, Executive Director PSU Alumni Association
Eric Brown, MPH, President PSU Alumni Association, Chief Operating Officer Ronald McDonald House Charities Oregon & Southwest Washington