BB402 Craft Beverage Business Management
From employee management to sustainability implementation, you will learn how to align your operation with your mission. This non-credit course covers the specific aspects of the craft beverage business from an operation and supply chain perspective. You will be introduced to brewery and distillery production and operations, as well as the interface between brewery/brew-pub and brewery/distributor. By the end of the course you will understand the role of distributors and how to manage product in the supply chain, including the 3-tier distribution system, franchise law and regulations, and contracts. We will discuss the implication of these topics in
relation to self-distribution, pub and distillery issues, and internet and direct sales.
What You Cover
- The appropriate capacity plan for a brewery along with fixed and variable costs of operation
- Develop a forecast and production plan for weekly operation of a brewery or distillery
- Determine the ROI for various capital investments such as energy conservation improvements, bulk-grain storage, water and/or effluent treatment
- Implement a basic quality control program
- Develop a strategy for purchasing and storing materials, and managing packaging
- Recognize the key interactions with pub, food, and direct sales
- Create an operations and distribution plan
Note: BB401 must be successfully completed before students take BB402. This course is entirely online, and students receive emails prior to the start date with login instructions.
Instructor: Mellie Pullman
Madeleine (Mellie) Pullman is an associate professor of operations management in the PSU School of Business. She earned her PhD at the University of Utah in 1997. She has previously taught in the Graduate and Executive programs at Cornell University, London Business School, Southern Methodist University, CSU, CU, and University of Utah. Prior to academia, Mellie worked at Pyramid Brewing Co. (Kalama, WA), was the brewmaster at Hops Brewpub (Phoenix, AZ) and brewmaster/co-owner of Wasatch Brewery (Park City, UT).
Applies towards the following certificate:
The Business of Craft Brewing