The purpose of this recruitment is to develop a pool of qualified student workers to act as classroom assistants throughout the school year. Assignments will depend on applicant availability and the skills needed to provide appropriate support in a particular subject.
Classroom assistants provide students with a disability an equal opportunity to access the classroom setting.
- Providing verbal information regarding visual materials presented in class.
- Manipulating objects at the direction of the student.
- Recording information provided by the student during group or in-class projects.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to demonstrate patience with people in distress.
- Ability to maintain clear, professional boundaries.
- Professional attitude and demeanor.
- Clear respect for diversity and experience working with diverse populations.
- Experience working in educational settings, especially postsecondary education.
- Experience working with persons with disabilities.
- Strong grounding in one or more of the following subject areas:
- Specific foreign language (Spanish, French, Arabic, etc.)
- Linguistics (ESL)
- Experience with making accessible documents and materials.
- Experience with adaptive technology.
Hours and Wage
- No guarantee of number of hours. Schedule dependent on availability and specific need.
- Approximately 1 - 2 courses per term or 10 hours per week.
- $13.25 per hour
Please refer to the Handshake employment database for open positions. You may also fill out and sign a Classroom Assistant Job Application and send it to email@example.com along with a cover letter and résumé. Application materials will be reviewed as positions become open.