Search Google Appliance

Student Resources


  • How do I get help with Biology coursework?
    • If you are struggling in one of your Biology courses, the Department strongly encourages you to visit your professor and/or graduate student instructor's office hours to get help-- we can't assist you if we don't know you're having problems. Forming a study group with classmates can also be a good way to learn difficult course material.

      You may also visit the Peer Tutoring and Learning Center in SMSU 439 for drop in peer tutoring. In addition to helping you with your current coursework, their academic support services can assist you in developing learning skills for the long term. Visit their website at:

  • How do I get help with writing?
    • The Writing Center can help you at any stage of the writing process, from coming up with ideas in response to an assignment to reviewing rough drafts to helping you polish a draft you've already revised. Writing Center consultations last either half an hour or an hour, with availability both during the day and on some weekday evenings. These consultations are by appointment, so make your appointment as far in advance as possible, especially during the busy end-of-term timeframe.

      Click here to make an appointment with a Writing Center consultant.

      Click here to access the Writing Center's many online writing resources.

  • How do I get help with time management and study skills?
    • If you are struggling with balancing the demands of your coursework with your other life responsibilities, the Peer Tutoring and Learning Center can help you learn to study more effectively and efficiently. They can also help you develop strategies to manage your time more effectively. they offer a range of tutoring services, as well.
    • Visit their website:
  • How do I get help with disability accommodations?
    • The Disability Resource Center (DRC) coordinates and facilitates accommodations to ensure that students with disabilities have equal access to academic and campus life at PSU. These accommodations include notetaking, assistive listening devices, interpreting and captioning services, room changes for accessibility, alternate testing accommodations, textbooks and material in alternative formats, and ergonomic furniture. The DRC can also provide referrals for learning disability assessment, psychological assessment, and assistive technology assessment and training. PSU encourages all students with disabilities to access the resources to which they are entitled.

      Click here to see the eligibility requirements for DRC services.

      Click here DRC resources for students with disabilities.

  • How do I get help with health issues?
    • All PSU students taking five or more credits pay a student health fee that entitles them to use the Center for Student Health and Counseling (SHAC). SHAC is a primary health care clinic, and they offer these services:

      • Routine Adult Medical Care
      • Urgent Care
      • Lab and X-Ray Facilities
      • Immunizations
      • Prescription Services
      • Screenings for Sexually Transmitted Infections (STI's)
      • Contraceptive Counseling and Prescriptions
      • Tobacco Cessation
      • Nutrition Counseling
      • Wellness Exams such as pap smears (both male and female), study abroad physicals, Camp Kiwanis physical

      Students are also eligible for low-cost dental services through SHAC.

      Click here to find out more about SHAC health services.

      Click here for more information about SHAC dental services.

  • How do I get help with stress, anxiety, or depression?
    • The Center for Student Health and Counseling (SHAC) offers a range of resources to help students manage stresses and challenges in their academic and personal lives. These services range from short-term counseling, problem-solving, and help with adjusting to university life to career assessment and learning disability and ADHD testing. All services are confidential, and visits with a social worker, psychologist, or psychiatrist are free of charge to students who have paid the student health fee (those taking five or more credits at PSU).

      Click here to find out more about SHAC counseling services.

      Click here for crisis intervention resources.

  • How do I get help staying physically fit?
    • PSU offers many different opportunities to take care of your body as well as your mind. From fitness classes, intramural sports, and gym and swim facilities to outdoor recreation trips and equipment rentals, Campus Recreation has options for just about every interest and fitness level. Taking advantage of these resources, which are all either free or low-cost, is a great way to manage stress, meet new people, and stay healthy.

      Click here to find out more about what Campus Recreation offers.

  • How do I get help with financial aid?
    • College is a big investment, so it's important to stay on top of your financial aid status to ensure that you are making the most of the resources available to help you finance your education. The PSU Financial Aid Office will help you navigate the federal financial aid system. Financial aid counselors are available to meet with students by appointment.

      Click here for more information about financial aid.

  • How do I get help with legal issues?
    • All PSU students are entitled to legal services through the Office of Student Legal and Mediation Services (SLMS). SLMS offers both legal advice and, when necessary, legal representation for issues such as family law (e.g. divorce, custody, paternity, adoption, child support, and restraining orders), criminal law, landlord-tenant issues, consumer/debtor-creditor law (e.g. identity theft, credit reporting, and debt collection), and employment issues when PSU is not the employer.

      Click here for information about student legal services.

  • How do I get help finding student employment?
    • Research has shown that students who work on campus often graduate sooner and with higher GPAs than students working off-campus. PSU offers many student employment opportunities, both on campus and through partner agencies in the community, particularly for students who qualify for federal work-study. Although work study positions might pay a lower hourly wage than some off-campus employment, they can provide valuable employment experience that will help you build your resume and cultivate professional references.

      Click here to search for student employment opportunities.

  • How do I get help finding housing?
    • PSU offers a range of affordable housing options on or near campus, for both "traditionally aged" students and for older students, with or without families. Some of these housing options are dorm-style "sleepers" with communal bathrooms and kitchens, while others are apartments. Through the University Housing website, students can also search for off-campus housing options.

      Click here for more information about University Housing.

      Click here to search for off-campus housing.

  • How do I get help with childcare?
    • PSU is committed to helping its many student parents succeed. Student Parent Services (SPS) offers a variety of resources for student parents, including clothing exchanges, support networks, childcare resources, and financial assistance for childcare and financial emergencies for student parents. There are also two childcare facilities on campus, owned and operated by PSU. The Helen Gordon Child Development Center offers full- and part-day care for the children of students, staff, and faculty. The ASPSU Children's Center provides shorter-term care for those do not need full-time childcare.

      Click here for more information about childcare resources through SPS.

      Click here for more information about financial resources for student parents.