How to Apply
Applications to the Anthropology Graduate Program must be made through the Office of Graduate Studies. Applications are reviewed only for admission for fall term.
The application deadline for the 2021-2022 cohort is February 1, 2021. Applications received after the February 1 deadline, or for alternative term admission will NOT be reviewed, except in extenuating circumstance and by special request from the faculty member the student intends to work with.
In order for your application to be considered for admission, all application documents must be uploaded by February 1, 2021. Please do not send any application material directly to the Anthropology Department office, it will not be accepted. Applicants will be notified of their admission results no later than April 1, 2021.
Before you apply please make sure you have:
- Reviewed the information about the PSU Anthropology Graduate Studies program
- Contacted & interviewed with at least one potential tenure-track academic advisor
- Selected which of the three tracks you would like to pursue (thesis, internship, or skills-based)
- Taken the general GRE (or will have taken by the application deadline)
- Taken the TOEFL exam if required (International Students)
- Names/Contact information for three individuals who will provide letters of recommendation
- The PSU graduate admissions minimum requirements
- Copies of ALL official transcripts from every educational institution you've attended
- Completed a 500 word "Statement of Intent"*
- A writing sample that illustrates your academic skills and interests, and ability to craft a sustained argument supported by scholarly data.
- Graduate teaching Assistantship Application (optional)
* 500-word essay that summarizes your academic background and your main goals in attending graduate school and our program in particular. It should note which track you seek (thesis track, the internship track, or the skills-based track [courses + comprehensive exams]), and the faculty with whom you wish to work. Explain why your interests mesh well with our program.
For more information on admission, please see the PSU 2020-21 Bulletin.