Portland State University’s Certificate of Innovation in College Teaching program, in collaboration with SHAC, CLAS, and the Graduate School, is honored to host its fifth annual Fall Teaching Innovation Conference remotely via Zoom from September 21-24. This event is for graduate students, adjuncts, faculty, and staff who are interested in supporting students through inclusive practice.
This fall’s conference is titled “Inclusive Frameworks for Student Success,” and the focus is on the following four frameworks as they relate to student success:
- Culturally Sustaining Practice: Creating culturally sustaining environments that honor and make connections with our students’ lived experiences and cultural backgrounds.
- Universal Design for Learning: Increasing accessibility in and out of the classroom through the design of inclusive learning materials and experiences.
- Trauma-informed Practice: Recognizing and supporting trauma-affected students by engaging them in learning, developing resources to help them, and creating responsive spaces for them to succeed in school.
- Contemplative Practice: Engaging students in a reflective and introspective, first-person way of knowing the world around them through an embodied educational experience.
You are cordially invited to submit a proposal for one of the following:
- A remote workshop (1-2 hours via Zoom) that engages attendees in an experiential examination of one or more of the four frameworks listed above as they relate to student success. Inclusion of campus resources is highly recommended. This workshop will be synchronous and recorded for registrants who cannot attend.
- A brief video (5 minutes or less, prerecorded) that describes a strategy and/or resources that folks can use to practice one of the above frameworks with students, colleagues, or themselves. This video will be distributed to all conference registrants via email between Sept. 21-24.
Proposal Deadline: Monday, May 31, 2021
Proposal Form: https://forms.gle/FZFKWBdYn9eEdPVj9
Selection Announcement Date: Friday, June 11, 2021
Criteria for Selection: Proposals that share inclusive strategies that fall within one of the four frameworks listed above and include practical tools and campus resources that can be transferred to a variety of educational situations will be prioritized. We value reflexive practice and workshops and videos based around individual identities that focus on a specific audience.
Conference Invitation: You are welcome and encouraged to attend the Fall 2021 Teaching Innovation Conference beyond the workshop or video that you are proposing. Please indicate your interest in attending on your proposal form, and we’ll send you a link to register closer to the conference date.