If this in an emergency, call 911
Portland State University is committed to supporting students’ safe access to their education. Sexual assault, sexual/gender-based harassment, dating violence, domestic violence and stalking are all prohibited at PSU. Students have many options for accessing support, both on and off campus.
- You are on PSU’s Sexual Misconduct Options Website, which is a centralized source for all PSU services, policies and reporting options. This includes PSU’s Policy on Prohibited Discrimination & Harassment, as well as the Student Code of Conduct.
- Oregon Sexual Assault Task Force Campus Reporting Options Website is a non-PSU site outlining Title IX rights and reporting options.
Campus Confidential Services & Resources:
The following resources do not require students to make a report. Visit the Privacy & Confidentiality page for full details on the limits of confidentiality.
- The Center for Student Health and Counseling (SHAC): 1880 SW 6th Ave, (503) 725-2800
- Student Legal Services: 1825 SW Broadway, (SMSU) M343, (503) 725-4556
- IPV Advocates in the Women’s Resource Center (503-725-5672) or Queer Resource Center (503-725-9742)
- Advocates can help by:
- Making a safety plan to ensure a student’s ability to safely attend classes, work on campus and participate in campus life.
- Helping students change academic and on-campus living situations as needed.
- Connecting students to the Financial Aid or Registrars office to assist with making arrangements for your tuition or financial aid.
- Going over all reporting options and supporting you with whatever choice the students makes.
- Connecting students to on and off-campus resources such as counseling, medical or legal services.
SHAC provides confidential counseling and medical care, including trauma-informed sexual assault nurse services and forensic evidence collection. This means that any information you share with a SHAC employee will not be disclosed to outside parties without your written consent.
Students may be eligible for a Protective Order or other legal remedy. Student Legal Services provides confidential legal advice, advocacy and representation on a wide range of issues for eligible students (SLS cannot provide assistance in student vs. student or student vs. employee/university cases, but will provide referrals).
Interpersonal Violence Advocates are now confidential. Student’s disclosures to IPV Advocate will not trigger a PSU investigation into an incident against the student’s wishes. There are specific situations in which an Advocate may be required to break confidentiality, which are outlined detailed on the Privacy & Confidentiality page.
Title IX & Clery Rights:
- PSU will honor any lawful no contact or restraining order.
- Receive help with the development of a safety plan.
- Be informed of your options to notify law enforcement, access counseling services, and change academic and campus living situations as needed.
- Have equal support during disciplinary proceedings, and be informed of the outcome of any disciplinary proceeding.
Off-Campus Confidential Community Resources:
- Portland Women’s Crisis Line (P.W.C.L.): 503-235-5333
- All Clergy are confidential.
Sexual assault advocates are available 24 hours to assist students and help them access community resources. This service is available for individuals regardless of whether they choose to take legal action or not. PWCL can also help link students in domestic violence situations with the appropriate referrals including emergency shelter and support groups.
PWCL maintains an extensive listing of community resources.
- Gay Men’s Domestic Violence Project: 800-832-1901
- Sexual Minority Youth Recreation Center: 503-872-9664
- The Survivor Project: 503-288-3191
National domestic violence hotline for gay men, located in Boston, MA. Crisis line offers emotional support, safety planning, crisis counseling, referrals and emergency housing.
Drop in center for GLBT youth.
Advocating for intersex and transgendered survivors of domestic and sexual violence.
Call an Advocate at 503-725-5672 with any questions or concerns.
Printable Resource - SA-IPVResourceHandout.pdf
Questions about confidentiality? Please see our Confidentiality & Privacy webpage.