Stay calm. You must be able to help yourself and others.
- Drop, cover and hold on. Move as little as possible.
- Stay away from windows to avoid being injured by shattered glass.
- Stay indoors until the shaking stops and you are sure it is safe to exit. If you must leave the building after the shaking stops, use stairs rather than an elevator in case there are aftershocks, power outages or other damage.
- Be aware that fire alarms and sprinkler systems frequently go off in buildings during an earthquake, even if there is no fire.
After the Earthquake
- The disaster may continue allow time for objects to fall before moving.
- Expect and prepare for potential aftershocks or landslides.
- Check yourself for injuries and get first aid, if necessary, before helping injured or trapped persons.
- Look quickly for damage in and around your area and help get everyone out of the area if it is unsafe.
- Call 911 to report life-threatening emergencies.
Click here to receive more Earthquake Preparedness Information.