PSU’s Center for Student Health & Counseling (SHAC) provides medical support and resources to PSU students for health concerns that have stemmed from sexual misconduct. SHAC can provide STI screening and treatment, pregnancy testing and emergency contraception (i.e., the "morning after" pill), and follow-up care.
SHAC offers a fully integrated Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) program to support students of any gender who are survivors of sexual misconduct. By offering exams at the campus health center, sexual misconduct survivors can be in familiar surroundings with caring clinicians and do not have to be concerned about arranging transportation to the hospital. Survivors can continue seeing a Student Health clinician for any other health exams as well, which allows for a continuum of care for the survivor that includes sensitivity to their experience.
- The SANE program is available on campus year round from 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. (after hours, see “Off Campus" Medical Services below).
- Visits are confidential and a police report does not have to be made to receive an (unless you are under the age of 18).
- Examinations are available for men, women, trans students, and students of all gender identities and sexual orientations.
- Most services are free or include a minimal charge.
- You will always be treated in a sensitive and caring manner.
- Forensic evidence can be collected within 84 hours of an assault. You do not need to make an immediate decision about making a police report. If you are undecided, forensic evidence can be collected anonymously. It will be turned over to the Portland Police Bureau, where it will be held for six months. You can choose to make a police report at any point during that time.
- Outside of 84 hours, the SANE will offer you medical services intended to ensure your safety and well-being.
- The SANE program works with advocates who are available to support you through the SANE process and ensure your access to support services.
Outside of SHAC hours, sexual misconduct medical services can be accessed at Portland area hospitals. The closest hospital to PSU is OHSU and the emergency room offers medical care 24 hours a day. OHSU hosts a SANE program, and advocates from Call to Safety and the Multnomah County District Attorney’s Office Victim Assistance Program are available to support you through the medical process. You do not have to make a police report to receive SANE services. For more information, contact the 24-hour hotline at Call to Safety (503-235-5333).