Learn to Teach Geography with C-GEO
Teacher Programs for All Subject Areas
Teaching is a challenging profession. K-12 educators recognize the need for access to high quality professional development throughout their teaching careers. The Center for Geography Education in Oregon (C-GEO) can help by offering innovative professional development to help educators hone their skills. C-GEO offers high impact professional development opportunities for FREE or low-cost.
All of our programs are specifically designed to accomplish the following:
- Support implementation of the Common Core State Standards for Literacy in History and Social Studies, as well as the Next Generation Science Standards
- Engage participants as active learners using a Geographic inquiry framework that connects their local knowledge and experiences to a wide range of environmental and global issues
- Provide relevant and meaningful content, in combination with spatial thinking, aimed to help accelerate literacy and math skills development
- Support bringing classroom instruction into the digital age with geospatial technologies that will help engage K-12 students in developing the skills and competency required for college and career readiness
- Provide teachers with valuable resources that are free to use in the classroom immediately following the C-GEO program
C-GEO programs vary in length (e.g., one day, one week or two weeks) and often offer PDUs or free graduate credits to participants.
C-GEO Professional Development Programs for Teachers
C-GEO institutes help teachers experience geography education in new ways, often through travel.
GeoFest is C-GEO's Annual Teacher Conference
Many Oregon teachers return to GeoFest year after year. Discover why.