In order to receive the certificate, students must:
- Be admitted as a PSU student.
- Meet academic standards—students must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 in the following categories:
- All undergraduate course work outside PSU (if applicable).
- All PSU graded credits.
- Students who do not meet these standards may apply with a statement explaining their background and academic plans and may be accepted on a probationary status.
- Complete the online application.
- Hold a Bachelor's degree. Current PSU undergraduates can earn the certificate concurrently with the awarding of their Bachelor's degree—undergraduate students do not need to have earned their Bachelor's at the time they begin pursuing the program. Students who have earned a Bachelor's degree elsewhere can earn the certificate upon completion of the certificate requirements, and can do so while enrolled as post-baccalaureate students or graduate students.
To continue in the program, students are required to be in good academic standing, requiring a cumulative 3.00 GPA for all coursework taken at PSU and a term GPA of at least 2.67 each term.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.
Complete the university application. Current undergraduates and graduate students can skip this step. Others can apply as post-baccalaureate students, or can enroll in a degree program and earn the certificate while they pursue their chosen degree.
Complete the program application. The Comic Studies application requires:
- A statement of intent: A personal introduction that describes your interest in comics and comic art, your reasons for pursuing the Certificate in Comics Studies, and what most interests you about comics (creation, writing, editing, drawing, history, theory, critical scholarship, etc.).
- Copies of transcripts from previously-attended universities and/or colleges, as appropriate.