Portland State authorizes the use of the University’s name and logos on merchandise through a formal licensing and trademark program administered in partnership with the Collegiate Licensing Company (CLC).
Vendors interested in producing merchandise with the University’s trademark must become a licensed vendor through the Collegiate Licensing Company.
Types of CLC Licenses
The CLC Consortium offers the following licenses to companies interested in producing licensed merchandise. All license applications are subject to the approval of the individual institutions.
A Standard License is available to companies that wish to manufacture collegiate products (for resale) for six or more institutions, and is typically reserved for larger manufacturers with well-established production, distribution, and marketing capabilities. Here's a list of standard licensees with their addresses.
A Local License is available to smaller companies that wish to manufacture collegiate product (for resale) for up to five in-state institutions, and do not have plans to expand significantly beyond those local institutions. Here's a list of local licensees with their addresses.
Local licensed vendors in the Portland Metro area are:
- Screen Magic - Molly Luby - 503-866-8554 - email@example.com
- American Business Solutions - Brent Daniels - 503-746-9410 x328 - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Marco Ideas Unlimited - Tom Gudekunst - 503-620-0770 x224 - email@example.com
- 3 Point Brand Management - Ben Janal - 503-620-3410 - firstname.lastname@example.org
- T Line Design - Rick Lieberson - 503-266-2103 - email@example.com
- Gary Swank Jewelers - Grayam Swank - 503-223-8940 - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pinemeadow Golf Products, Inc. - Guy Mount - 503-236-0531 - email@example.com
Local licensed vendors outside of the Portland Metro area are:
Internal Campus Supplier
The Internal Campus Supplier license allows a company to produce merchandise bearing the trademarks of collegiate institutions for university departments and related entities for internal consumption only. Sales must be categorized as royalty exempt by the individual institution. Sales to university bookstores, alumni associations, student groups and/or other university entities not included on the approved distribution list are not permitted. In addition, internal campus suppliers cannot sell to any entity if the product will be resold and/or used for promotional purposes (gift-with-purchase) or fundraising.
Internal Campus Suppliers in the Portland Metro area are:
- ARC Document Solutions - David Trask - 503-227-3424 - firstname.lastname@example.org
- MEKDesign - Miguel Elias - 503-750-8870 - email@example.com
Retailers are granted the right to sell PSU trademarked merchandise that is purchased through a CLC vendor with a Standard or Local license.
Retailers in the Portland Metro area are:
- Portland State University Market and Spirit Store - Kristine Wise - 503-725-4529 - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Portland State Bookstore - 503-226-2631
- Dick's Sporting Goods
University Departments and Student Groups
University departments and student groups are required to purchase PSU trademarked merchandise from a licensed vendor.
Merchandise developed for non-resale promotional purposes can be purchased from any licensed vendor.
Merchandise sold for a profit must be ordered from a vendor with a Standard or Local license.
When selling PSU trademarked merchandise, you must add a ™ or ® to University names or logos. See the PSU art sheet for appropriate use. The licensed vendor you select can add these icons for you.
If a Portland State University department or student group is seeking a specialty product and cannot find a licensed vendor who produces it, please contact Tracy Weber at 503-725-8555 or email@example.com for assistance.