Welcome to Speech and Hearing Sciences
Thank you for your interest in our department. Our Speech and Hearing Sciences' undergraduate, post-baccalaureate, and graduate programs offer a range of challenges and opportunities for professional and personal growth. We are proud of the unique clinical and educational experiences we offer our students. The faculty, staff, and students help to make this a program of excellence. The rigorous academic programs and variety of clinical experiences help to ensure that our graduates are well-prepared for their future professional work. Our location in the heart of Portland gives our students access to a wealth of clinical sites and provides unlimited cultural and recreational opportunities.
Why choose the Speech & Hearing Sciences Department at PSU?
We believe that our most valuable resource is our people: students, staff, and faculty. Together we make the department an enjoyable place to learn, grow, and work. The faculty is nationally recognized for their innovative scholarship, teaching, and clinical skills.
- We teach the most current, evidence-based information using state-of-the-art techniques. We emphasize the importance of life-long learning and the importance of being a critical consumer.
- We produce research that generates new knowledge, and we share that knowledge with local, national, and international professional and scientific communities.
- We provide excellent professional service to our students, the University, the Profession, and to our communities. Our clinical training program and professional clinic emphasizes family-centered care from a whole-person perspective.
What else makes PSU’s Department of SPHR a special place?
- Courses have an interdisciplinary focus
- We value diversity, equity, and inclusion, recognizing how diversity enriches our campus community by supporting and enhancing an inclusive and culturally respectful environment. Academic and clinical experiences emphasize cultural and linguistic diversity, ethical responsiveness, and professionalism.
- Availability of graduate electives in specialized areas, including: medical speech-language pathology, cleft lip and palate, autism, bilingual speech and language topics, neuroimagin, medical speech-language pathology, ethics, and professional issues.
Please browse our website to learn more about us!