Measles & Mumps Requirement
Portland State University requires that all students must show immunity to measles and mumps.
- Domestic Students: Students who are not compliant for measles and mumps will have their registrations for all future terms blocked.
- International Students: International students who are not compliant for measles and mumps will have their registration blocked and be unable to attend classes.
Vaccinations can be obtained through the Center for Student Health and Counseling for a $61 fee (this vaccination is free for students with the PSU Aetna Student Health Insurance Plan). Vaccinations are available for eligible students on an appointment basis. A Measles & Mumps Vaccine Requirement Form must be completed and can be turned into the Center for Student Health and Counseling during operating hours. If you need this form please go to downloadable forms.
You may also fax the form to 503-725-5812. Please use white paper only so the fax is readable OR email a scanned image of your MMR Requirement form to email@example.com.
In order to be compliant with the university, all entering students born after 1956 must have one of the following:
- Two vaccinations of MMR on or after their first birthday, with a minimum of 30 days between the first and second dose
- Show evidence of immunity to measles (Rubeola) and mumps
- Physician's signature certifying prior measles (Rubeola) and mumps
Exceptions to the above are listed below:
- Students born in 1956 or before may apply for an age exemption.
- Students who choose may also ask for a religious exemption by signing the appropriate section on the Measles & Mumps requirement form and turning it in to the Center for Student Health and Counseling.
- Students who are pregnant, planning to be pregnant or nursing may apply for a medical deferral. Depending on the student's specific situation, the deferral may be between 3 months and a year.
- A medical exemption can be applied for if the student
- Can show immunity to Rubeola (Not Rubella) and Mumps through a titer test.
- Can show history of the disease.
- Has an allergy to the vaccine.
All Students applying for a deferral or a medical exemption must obtain a doctor's signature.
Please go to our contact form and select "Measles & Mumps Requirement Questions" from the drop down menu.