What Can I do With a Degree in Criminology and Criminal Justice?
Quick Links for this page:
- Advising & Career Services' Resources
- Vocational Biographies
- Professional Associations
- Internet Sites with Career-Related Information for Criminology and Criminal Justice Majors
- Places of Employment
Advising & Career Services has a variety of resources to help students explore potential career fields. These resources include information about typical responsibilities, qualifications, career paths, job outlook, salary, and related careers.
Vocational Biographies describes the career success stories of 1001 real people. Search by career title, keyword, topic, and career cluster. Username: portland su and pass code: 3w9n
- Community Relations/Crime Prevention Officer
- Correctional Sergeant
- Court Officer
- Deputy U.S. Marshall
- Police Chief
- Prison Training Officer
- Prison Warden
- Private Investigator
- Security Officer
- State Trooper
- Victim Advocate
- What Can I do with a Major in Criminal Justice? — Lists related to career titles for Criminal Justice majors. From the Career Services Office at Medaille College.
- College Majors and Career Opportunities: Administration of Justice — Lists related occupations and types of employers. From Career Services, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, New Jersey.
- Police, Detectives, and Special Agents — From the Occupational Outlook Handbook.
- Correctional Officers — From the Occupational Outlook Handbook.
- What Can I do with a Major in Criminal Justice — List related potential career titles for Criminal Justice majors. From Career Services, University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire
Students who major in criminology and criminal justice develop skills that are valued by employers. These skills include: research, analysis, writing, oral presentation, critical thinking, synthesis, and problem solving. Students and alumni may find employment in business, government, nonprofits, social services, and educational institutions depending on their skills and experience. Internships or relevant part-time jobs may be a prerequisite to finding employment.
The following list of employers and job titles was derived from Advising & Career Services' jobs database where the employer specifically requested criminology and criminal justice majors. This list does not reflect all potential places of employment or kinds of jobs for criminology and criminal justice majors. This list does not reflect current openings.
- Benton County — Deputy Sheriff, Parole & Probation Work Crew/Counselor, Juvenile Crime/Alcohol & Drug Prevention Coordinator, Parole and Probation Lieutenant
- City of Beaverton — Crime Analyst
- City of Corvallis — Management Assistant, Police Officer
- City of Grants Pass — Public Safety Sergeant
- City of Hillsboro — Police Crime Prevention Specialist
- City of Keizer — Police Captain Patrol Division Commander and Support Division Commander
- City of Lincoln City — Police Lieutenant, Police Officer
- City of Salem — Senior Enforcement Officer, Downtown Security Enforcement Officer, Crime Analyst
- Clark College — Director Security and Safety
- CODA, Inc. — Forensic Intensive Case Manager
- Construction Contractors Board — Principal Executive Manager B
- Contra Costa County — Deputy Sheriff - Criminalist I, Victim/Witness Assistance Program Manager
- Cowlitz County — Drug Court Coordinator, Probation Officer, Juvenile Detention Officer
- Department of Community Justice — Juvenile Probation Services and Adult Probation/Parole/Post Prison Supervision
- Grays Harbor College — Director of Campus Safety & Security
- Jackson County — Criminal Deputy, Community Justice Officer, Program Manager VII (Captain), Program Manager V (Lieutenant)
- Legislative Administration — Judiciary Staff Attorney, Policy Director
- Mervyn's California — Executive in Training - Assets Protection
- Metropolitan Public Defender (MPD) — Legal Assistant, Data Integrity Assistant
- Morrison Center Child & Family Services — Program Assistant
- Multnomah County Sheriff's Office — Corrections Deputy, Equipment/Property Technician
- Nike, Inc. — Senior Licensed Product Associate
- Oregon Judicial Department, Oregon Courts — Juvenile Court Programs Analyst
- Oregon State Bar — Investigator/Trial Assistant, CLE Publications Manager, Legal Research Assistant
- Oregon Youth Authority
- Police Activities League (PAL) — Program Assistant/Recreation
- Port of Portland — Emergency Communications Supervisor
- SAIF Corporation — Field Investigator, Investigations Supervisor, Surveillance Investigator
- Tongue Point Job Corps Center — Residential Counselor
- US Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) — Contract Specialist
- US Border Patrol — Border Patrol Agent
- US Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms — Inspector
- US Citizenship & Immigration Services — Immigration Inspectors, Adjudications Officers, and Criminal Investigators
- US Customs and Border Protection — Agents, Inspectors, Officers
- Vancouver Police Department — Police Reserve Program
- Washington County District Attorney's Office — Criminal Justice Intern Advocate
- Washington State Department of Corrections — Classification Counselor 2
- Washington State Patrol — State Trooper
- YWCA of Greater Portland — Counselor Aide
- State of Oregon job specifications for: Correctional Counselor, Juvenile Parole and Probation Officer, Juvenile Probation/Social Services Officer/Juvenile Correctional Counselor.
Department of Criminology and Criminal Justice — Portland State University