What Can I do With a Degree in Arts and Letters?
Quick Links for this page:
- What can you do with a degree in Arts and Letters?
- Vocational Biographies
- Career and Job Search Resources for Liberal Arts and Sciences Majors (Online)
- Related Arts and Letters Sites Available From Advising & Career Services
- Places of Employment
The short answer is that you can do a lot. Your Arts and Letters degree prepares you for many careers in many fields.
That's great, isn't it? Many possible careers... But if many careers are possible, how will you choose among the possibilities?
A major in Arts and Letters is a powerful academic foundation that provides you with the opportunity to develop skills employers value in employees. These include: oral and written communication, interpersonal, teamwork, technical, analytical, critical thinking, organizational, and problem solving skills.
Remember that your Arts and Letters major, in and of itself, does not determine your career path. No major does — not business, not psychology, not biology.
It's up to you to determine which career is right for you, but you don't have to do it alone. Advising & Career Services can help you with the process of identifying your preferred skills, interests, and values, and identifying potential careers to explore. We can also help you think about how your coursework relates to the world of work and how to effectively describe your educational background to employers.
Vocational Biographies describes the career success stories of 1001 real people. Search by career title, keyword, topic, and career cluster. Username: portland su and pass code: 3w9n.
- Employer Advice for Liberal Arts Students — From the Career Center and the University of California, Berkeley.
- General Career Strategies for Arts and Sciences Majors — From Career Services from the University of New Mexico.
- Liberal Arts Education More Important Than Ever an article that shows the growth in popularity of this major written by Joanne V. Creighton, President of Mount Holyoke College, South Hadley, Massachusetts.
- Road to Career Success For Liberal Arts Majors by Robin Ryan, posted on NACE JobWeb.
The following pages may have additional information and ideas for careers. What Can I do With a Major/Certificate/Minor in:
Students with degrees in Arts and Letters develop skills that are valued by employers. They may find employment in government, nonprofits, social services, educational institutions, and businesses, depending on their skills, experience, and interests. Internships or relevant part-time jobs may be a prerequisite to finding employment in some fields.
The following list of employers and job titles was derived from Advising & Career Services' jobs database where the employer specifically requested Arts and Letters majors. This list does not reflect all potential places of employment or kinds of jobs for Arts and Letters majors. This list is meant to show some typical job listings; it does not reflect current openings.
- Abercrombie and Fitch — Manager in Training
- Beaverton School District — Web Developer
- Boys & Girls Clubs of Southwest Washington — Development Coordinator
- Buckle, The — Management Development Program
- Cadmus Group, Inc., The — Marketing Coordinator — Entry Level
- Calypte Biomedical Corporation — Business Development Analyst
- Capital Financial Planners, LLC — Financial Planning Assistant
- Catholic Community Services — Community Support Specialist
- CDK Global — HR Support Analyst
- City of Hillsboro — Volunteer Services Coordinator
- City of Woodburn — Weed & Seed Program Coordinator
- Comcast Corporation — Marketing Coordinator — Entry Level
- Consolidated Graphics — Leadership Development Program Associate
- Con-way Enterprise Services — Lead Instructional Designer/Usability Analyst
- Database Marketing Agency, Inc. (DMA) — Data Processing Analyst
- ECONorthwest — Research Assistant
- Farmers Insurance Group — Financial and Insurance Services Professional
- Fastenal Company — Sales Management Trainee
- First Investors Corporation — Financial Services Representative
- Fisher Investments — Account Executive
- Friends of the Children — Professional Mentors
- Fund for Public Interest Research, The — Canvass Director, Citizen Outreach
- Federal Bureau of Prisons — Correctional Officer
- Gensco, Inc. — Credit Manager
- Grassroots Campaigns, Inc. — Field Manager, Citizen Outreach Directors
- Hacienda Community Development Corporation (CDC) — After-School Assistant
- Hands to Hearts International — Research & Outreach Coordinator
- Hertz Corporation — Manager Trainee
- Human Services Council — Transportation Screener, Interpreter Services Screener
- Human Services Research Institute — Administrative Assistant
- Iberdrola Renewables — Trading Analyst
- InfiniSource, Inc. — High Tech Administrative Assistant
- Inside Track — College Admissions/Enrollment Coach
- Interaction Metrics — Research Lead: Research/Scoring and Presentations
- i-OP, Inc. — Project Manager
- KATU Channel 2 Portland — News Reporter
- Knowledge Learning Corporation — Grants Coordinator
- Kohl's Department Stores — Store Management Trainee
- Korean American League for Civic Action (KALCA) — Executive Director
- Kraft Foods, Inc. — Operations Supervisor
- LaCie Limited — Buyer
- League of Oregon Cities — Intergovernmental Relations Assistant
- Legal Aid Services of Oregon — Administrator
- Linsco/Private Ledger — Staff Assistant
- Massini Group — Database Marketing Specialist
- McCullough Research — Research Associate
- McKenzie River Trust — Director of Resources
- MENTOR Oregon — Direct Service Employee
- Miller & Zimmerly Real Estate Investment Group — Executive Assistant/Office Coordinator
- Multnomah County Sheriff's Office — Deputy Sheriff
- Multnomah County Sustainability Program — Waste Reduction & Recycling Plan Coordinator
- Nature Conservancy of Oregon, The — Administrative Assistant
- Newell Rubbermaid — National Account Specialist
- Northwestern Mutual Financial Network — Associate Pension Specialist
- Office of Mayor Sam Adams — Art and Culture Policy Coordinator
- Oregon After-school for Kids — Youth Development Network Coordinator
- Oregon Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) — Land Application and Licensing Manager
- Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT) — Program Coordinator, Local Agency Construction Administration Liaison, Construction Contracts Specialist, Research Analyst, Inspector
- Oregon State Police — Oregon State Troopers
- OutsideIn — Clinic Assistant Manager, Youth Resource and Activity Specialist
- PACCESS — Project Assistant
- Pacific Interpreters, Inc. — In-house scheduler/ Spanish Quality Assurance Specialist
- Pacific Office Automation — Account Sales Representative
- Penhall Company — Senior Estimator
- Physicians for Social Responsibility — Executive Director
- Pinemeadow Golf, Inc. — Marketing and Sales Representative
- Portland Business Alliance — Membership Coordinator
- Portland VA Medical Center — Program Support Assistant, Research Assistant
- Safeway, Inc. — Assistant Store Manager
- SAIF — Claims Adjuster Trainees, Claims Adjuster, Claims Adjuster Supervisor, Bilingual Claims Adjuster
- SingleFeed — Account Manager
- St. Joseph Catholic Church — Coordinator of Youth & Young Adult Ministry
- Standard, The — Communications Specialist I
- State Farm Insurance — Claim Representative, Underwriter
- State of Oregon — Research Analyst 4, Procurement & Contract Specialist 3
- Sterling Foods — Marketing and Logistics Associate
- Synarc — Clinical Operations Specialist
- Teach Abroad — Teacher in China
- Tripwire, Inc. — HR Generalist w/Comp Focus, Support Renewal Administrator
- TruGreen — LandCare Site Measurer
- Universal Forest Products — Production Manager Trainee, Sales Trainee
- University of Oregon (UO) — Assistant Director for Alumni Relations
- US Border Patrol — Border Patrol Agent
- US Census Bureau — Vietnamese Interpreter
- US Department of Veterans Affairs — Management Analyst
- US Postal Service — Associate Account Manager
- Volunteers of America — Child Care Supervisor, Toddler Interventionist
- Waddell & Reed — Financial Advisor
- Walgreens — Retail Management
- Willamette Neighborhood Housing Services — Home Ownership Program Assistant
- Wolseley North America — Management Trainee Program
- Worksystems, Inc. — Senior Project Manager
- XTRA Lease — Operations Assistant
- Yahoo! — Client Advocate
- Zones, Inc. — Account Executive
College of Liberal Arts & Sciences - Portland State University