We are the professional department that supports PSU's officially recognized student-run media organizations: KPSU, Pathos, Sub-Basement Studios, The Pacific Sentinel, and Vanguard.
We operate as part of Student Activities and Leadership Programs (SALP), work under advisement from the Student Media Board, and are funded by the Student Fee Committee.
Our mission is to help PSU’s Student Media organizations serve their community with useful and engaging media content and to provide a learning laboratory that nurtures the development of students who aspire to become skilled, ethical media professionals.
We meet our mission by:
- Advising students in matters of federal and state law to minimize the risk of lawsuits and fines in such areas as libel, false light, intellectual property infringement, invasion of privacy, misappropriation of image, obscenity, and indecency.
- Advising students on their rights under the First Amendment to guard against prior restraint and other potential infringements.
- Helping students develop as critical thinkers who reflect on the implications of their practice as well as the greater media environment, including the role of diversity and inclusion in fostering social change.
- Helping students develop an ethical framework based on an understanding of their responsibilities and the complex realities they are likely to encounter.
- Providing necessary trainings for basic and advanced skills in journalism and multimedia production.
- Helping students navigate the rapidly changing landscape of media, making them aware of technological advances and media usage trends.
- Preparing students for the job market.
- Providing resource materials to enable students to help themselves.
- Enabling students to develop their leadership skills and capacity for managing organizational dynamics and functioning.
- Facilitating financial transactions and other organizational processes in accordance with federal, state, and institutional regulations.
- Providing our media groups guidance on financial solvency and sustainability.
- Helping the media groups collaborate more effectively among themselves as well as within the university framework.