“The CCAMPIS grant has allowed my daughter to have two parents working and studying, while she grows and learns along with us on campus. It has been essential to our achievement and a happy healthy family life!”
—2013 Grant participant
The Child Care Access Means Parents In School (CCAMPIS) grant is a federal program of the U.S. Department of Education that assists parents with the cost of keeping their children enrolled in a quality child care center. Students must be PELL grant eligible or be eligible under Pell grant income guidelines. In addition, students must be enrolled in classes at Portland State University and have their children enrolled in the Helen Gordon Child Development Center, a licensed and accredited child care center. Families who meet the requirements of the CCAMPIS grant will receive a subsidy, payable to the Helen Gordon Child Development Center, for child care tuition fees.
The criteria for eligibility includes:
- Be an undergraduate student at PSU
- Recipient or eligible to receive a Pell Grant
- Must be low-income as determined by the USDA Income Eligibility guidelines.
Eligible families who are also Military-connected will receive priority status. This is not a requirement or guarantee to receive funds. Military-connected student means:
- A child participating in an early learning program, a student in preschool through grade 12, or a student enrolled in postsecondary education or training who has a parent or guardian on active duty in the uniformed services (as defined by 37 U.S.C. 101, in the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, National Guard, or the reserve component of any of the aforementioned services)
- A student who is a veteran of the uniformed services, who is on active duty, or who is the spouse of an active-duty service member.
Before starting your application, please read the following guidelines:
- I understand that the goal of the CCAMPIS program is to assist me with child care expenses so that I can succeed in completing credits towards my degree program.
- I understand I must have a cumulative GPA of 2.0 to apply to the program and must retain this GPA while participating in the CCAMPIS Grant and receiving financial assistance for child care services.
- I understand that I must be enrolled in 8 credits each quarter that the CCAMPIS Grant is awarded to me. My participation in the program is dependent upon my successful completion of quarter credits on a consistent basis towards earning my degree.
- I understand that I will be required to complete regular program surveys as this is essential to ongoing funding of the CCAMPIS Grant.
- I understand that in order to receive financial assistance from the program my child(ren) must be attending the Helen Gordon Child Development Center.
- I understand and give permission for the CCAMPIS Grant Personnel and Program Manager, Laura West-Vanderpool, to access my personal financial information through the USDA Confidential income statement as well as my academic information through PSU.
- I understand that aggregate information but no personal information will be shared with the U.S. Department of Education in Washington D.C. who funds this program.
- I understand that I must provide a written report to the CCAMPIS Grant coordinator of any changes in the information provided on this application within 10 calendar days of the change. Failure to report such changes could result in a forfeit of grant funds.
- I understand that I must complete the annual confidential survey in order to participate in this grant funded project.