Order Cap & Gown (regalia)
Regalia is not required for the Virtual Commencement Ceremony. Online ordering is no longer available. If you wish to purchase graduation items such as gown packages, call Royal-T Herff Jones at 360-254-7870 to place an order. Individual regalia items such as caps, tassels, stole of gratitude, or grad gifts can be ordered through the University Market website. The sale of these items will continue after June 14th.
All items ordered via the website before May 15th will be shipped to you at no cost, due to delays orders can take up to 3 weeks to be processed and shipped.
Students who placed orders in March for on-campus pickup were notified in April via email with further instructions on how to proceed with the order (cancel and refund or ship items to directly).
Students seeking to order for the future in-person event do not need to order now, we will make regalia available for purchase once details are confirmed for the in-person event.
Traditional Commencement Regalia
- Bachelor’s Degree - Cap, Bachelor Gown, Tassel in your school/colleges color
- Master’s Degree - Cap, Master's Gown, Hood & Tassel in your school/colleges color
- Doctorate - PhD Cap & Gown, Hood in your school/colleges color, and Gold Tassel
All Portland State gowns are black. Bachelor’s degree recipients wear a tassel of the color associated with the college or school conferring the degree. Dual major recipients wear one tassel, although a second may be purchased as a souvenir. If majors are in different colleges or schools, the student must decide which major and college or school to use. The academic cap is adjusted to remain level. The academic gown is fastened in the front. The tassel on the cap hangs on the right side prior to the ceremony.
Other Regalia and Commencement Items
- Ethnic regalia is welcomed at commencement.
- Other regalia items are optional such as stole of gratitude (available for purchase as individual items or as part of a package), affinity stoles, cords, leis, etc.
- Class rings, announcements, and frames are available online through the Herff Jones Online Store.
All regalia is only available for purchase (PSU does not offer rentals) and is final sale.
We notified recipients via their @pdx.edu email of their eligibility for latin honors on Friday, May 22. Students must complete the included instructions to receive their honor cord. Cords have been mailed to all students who followed the instructions by June 3rd. Arrival of these items will vary due to mailing speeds out of our control, thank you for your patience.
To qualify for latin honors, students must:
- Be an undergraduate student
- Have at least 72 credits completed at PSU, 60 of which must be taken for differentiated grades (not Pass/No Pass).
- Have at least a 3.67 PSU cumulative GPA or higher upon graduation (only PSU credits will be used in this calculation)
Honors Recognition at the Official University Commencement Ceremony
Students who meet the criteria and participate in the university-wide ceremony will have their name printed in the commencement program with their Latin Honor and will be awarded a Latin Honor cord to wear during the ceremony.
A student’s final Portland State cumulative GPA for their graduation term is used to determine honors awards that will be printed on the diploma and transcript. However, to qualify for honors recognition at the university ceremony, students must meet the criteria below at the end of Winter Quarter. There are no exceptions. The Commencement Office uses a student’s winter GPA because that is the latest official GPA available at the time of cord distribution in May.
PSU cumulative GPA at the end of Winter Term 2020 meets the Latin Honors Criteria:
- 3.90 to 4.00 - Summa cum laude (Gold Cord)
- 3.80 to 3.89 - Magna cum laude (Silver Cord)
- 3.67 to 3.79 - Cum laude (Green Cord)