Application for Awarding of Master's Degree, Doctoral Degree, or Graduate Certificate
PLEASE READ THESE INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY BEFORE COMPLETING THE APPLICATION
- The application form is a PDF document. We urge you to fill out the form on a computer - this will ensure legibility, which can reduce errors and helps us process your file more quickly and accurately. When you fill out the top half of the form online, the bottom half will be completed automatically.
- If you choose to print the application and fill it out by hand, please complete both halves with the exact same wording using a blue or black pen. Again, it is more convenient and efficient to fill out the form online.
- DARS processing requires a Catalog Year, so OGS needs this information on your application form. To earn a graduate certificate or degree, you must meet the requirements published in a single, valid Catalog (PSU Bulletin). The Catalog Year you are using must not be older than seven years at the time of graduation, and must be a year in which you were admitted to and enrolled in your graduate certificate or degree program. On the application form, you will be asked to provide a Catalog Year and Term (i.e. Fall 2009).
- After completing the form, print out one copy. This copy will be turned in to the Office of Graduate Studies. You must sign and date both halves. Your application will not be accepted without signatures on both halves.
- After signing and dating both halves, we suggest you make a copy for your records. The Office of Graduate Studies will not make copies for you when you submit it to our office.
- Submit the completed application (both halves; do not cut the form in half) to the Office of Graduate Studies, XSB 184. We are open Monday-Friday, 8:00AM to 5:00PM. If you need to mail the application to us, please send it to:
Office of Graduate Studies (OGS)
Portland State University
PO Box 751
Portland, OR 97207-0751
- IMPORTANT: Faxed and emailed applications will NOT be accepted.
- The Application for Awarding of Master's Degree, Doctoral Degree, or Graduate Certificate is due the first Friday of the term you plan to graduate. Please see the Graduate Candidates' Deadlines for specific due dates.
- As a one-time courtesy, students who do not complete degree requirements can have their application for graduation carried forward to a future term (typically the next term, but it could be at maximum up to one year in advance). To request that an application for graduation be carried, students must contact OGS in writing and provide an explanation for the graduation delay. If students do not graduate a second time, the application for graduation will be dropped; they will then need to reapply for graduation by the appropriate deadline (and will be assessed a new $25 fee).
If you have any questions about filling out or submitting the Application for Awarding of Master's Degree, Doctoral Degree, or Graduate Certificate please contact our office at 503-725-8410 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit us at XSB 184.
Additional Documents Required For Graduation
If you are a Master's student, please see the Summary of Procedures for Master's Degrees for information about additional paperwork required for graduation.
If you are a Doctoral student, please see the Summary of Procedures for Doctoral Degrees for information about additional paperwork required for graduation.