Developing and executing strategy is a critical leadership skill. This course will take a practical approach to strategy development. You will be introduced to strategy development tools and how the use
of the tools can deliver logical, actionable strategies.
The course will exercise your critical thinking skills. Specifically, you will:
- Complete an external analysis to identify market opportunities and threats through a broad environmental scan and industry analysis.
- Complete an internal analysis assessing an organization’s relative strengths and weaknesses, competitive advantage and core competencies.
- Develop specific, actionable strategies through connecting and prioritizing external and internal analysis.
- Gain an understanding of differentiation, cost leadership and vertical integration strategies.
- Gain insight into how a strategic plan gets integrated into a company’s execution activities.
- Gain a sense for how strategic alliances and acquisitions can be used to fulfill a strategy.
- Integrate uncertainty and risk assessment into a strategic plan.
Discounts may apply, please refer to the registration page for details.
Instructor: Dave Garten
Dave Garten is currently Professor of Business in the Portland State University and Oregon Executive MBA programs. He teaches graduate courses in Business Strategy, Strategic Alliances and Acquisitions, and Negotiation. He also is Director of PSU’s MBA Capstone Consulting program. Dave has extensive experience in strategy development, management, marketing, product development, strategic alliances and acquisitions, negotiation, raising capital and finance.
Dave is a Director and Finance Committee lead at The Organically Grown Company, Chairman and Director at SeQuential-Pacific Biodiesel and is a member of the Portland metropolitan region’s Community Investment Initiative Leadership Council. He has an MBA from the Sloan School of Management at MIT, and an M.Eng.from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.
Interested in bringing this course onsite? Please contact Kristen Pedersen.