Joseph C. Blumel Residence Hall (known as Blumel) is a nine-story, L-shaped, student residence with two parking levels surrounding the Saint Helens Building. It is located along SW Mill Street and 11th Avenue between Mill, 11th, Montgomery, and 12th. Parking Structure 3 is located to its west, Science Research & Teaching Center to its east, and King Albert and Stephen Epler residence halls to its south. The building was designed by Michael & Lakeman and built for PSU and constructed in two phases between 1986-1988
Blumel Hall consists of furnished, one-bedroom units for non-first year students and offers housing year-round. Amenities include full kitchens (stove/oven and refrigerator), private bathroom (most have shower/tub combo), carpet floors, ground floor lounge, and parking. The building includes two-levels of parking over half of which is reserved for student residents.
Building Naming History:
Joseph C. Blumel Residence Hall, 2009-present
West Hall, 1988-2009
Student Housing Project, 1986-1988
Blumel Residence Hall is named after the fourth president of PSU, Joseph Carlton Blumel (1928-2007). During his long career at Portland State, Blumel served as a faculty member teaching economics, head of the economics department, dean of undergraduate students, dean of faculty, vice president for Academic Affairs, and the university's longest serving president (1974-1986). One of the many accomplishments of Blumel's presidency was the establishment of four professional schools: College of Engineering, College of Urban and Public Affairs, School of Fine and Performing Arts, and the School of Health and Human Performance (dissolved in 1992 due to financial exigency).
Building Gross Square Footage: 124,607
Building Net Assignable Square Footage: 97,572
Parking Gross Square Footage: 79,929
Parking Net Assignable Square Footage: 62,587