The Blackstone is a PSU student residence hall that sits at the corner of the SW Park Avenue and Harrison Street where it faces the Smith Memorial Student Union Building across the Park Blocks, and is just north of Millar Library and the Harrison Street right-of-way. The 38,971 square foot Blackstone shares Portland Block 229 with two other PSU structures: Montgomery Court residence hall and the Simon Benson House.
A five-story structure with Egyptian Revival elements, the Blackstone was built in 1931. Originally a residential apartment building designed by the architect, Elmer E Feig, for the real estate developer, Harry Mittleman, who owned and operated the building until Portland Student Services in conjunction with Portland State acquired it in 1969 to serve exclusively as student housing. As of 2017, Blackstone houses non-first year students and contains 24 one-bedrooms, 10 studios, 13 sleepers and 6 furnished quad units.
Gross Square Footage: 39,971
Net Assignable Square Footage: 26,725