John B. Hall
- Comparative Economic Systems
- U.S. Economic History
- Institutional Economics
- History of Economic Thought
- Classical Political Economy
- Micro and Macro Economics
- Evolutionary-Institutional Theory
- Intersections between Philosophy and Economics
- Central and East European Economies in Transition
- Economics of Frontier Regions: with special interest on the bacia do rio Amazonas, South America's "third" giant
- John Eliot Allen Outstanding Teaching Award, For Years 2001-2 and Years 2005-6
- International Research and Exchanges Board (to Hungary)
- Alexander von Humboldt-Stiftung (to Germany)
- J. William Fulbright Foundation to Zambia and to Germany
- PANOECONOMICUS (2006 - present)
- JOURNAL OF ECONOMIC ISSUES (2008 - 2014)
- FORUM FOR SOCIAL ECONOMICS (2012 - present)
Board of Directors
- Association for Institutional Thought (2008-Present), Vice President (2012-2013) and President (2013-2014)
- Association for Evolutionary Economics (2010-2013)
Selected Current Research and Publications
- “Thorstein Veblen and His Kantian Approach to Evolutionary Thinking,” appearing in the book: The Evolution of Economic Theory: Economic Reproduction, Technology, Institutions. St. Petersburg: Aletheia, 2015, pp. 19-26.
- "Subreption and Institutional Inquiry", John Hall and Alexander Dunlap, Presented at the EAEPE Panel: Theoretical Philosophy and Evolutionary Thinking, 24th Annual EAEPE Conference
- "Veblen's Predator and the Great Crisis," coauthored with Iciar Dominguez-Lacasa and Jutta Guenther, Journal of Economic Issues, vol. XLVI, no. 2 (June 2012): pp. 411-418.
- "Veblen's Predator" - AFEE Chicago Conference Paper, coauthored with Iciar Dominguez Lacasa and Jutta Guenther.
- "Path Dependence and QWERTY's Lock-In: Toward a Veblenian Interpretation," coauthored with Iciar Dominguez Lacasa and Jutta Guenther, Journal of Economic Issues, vol. XLV, no. 2 (2011) pp. 457-464.
- “Effects of Neoliberalism on the German Labor Market and Income Distribution: An Institutionalist and Post Keynesian Perspective,” in Selected Essays: VII International Colloquium: Getting Out of the Current Economic Crisis In the Light of Alternative Development Paradigms, edited by Teixeira, Joanilio and Araújo, Ricardo. Vera and Francilia: Brasilia, Brasil, 2010: pp. 53-69.
- "Veblen, Myrdal, and the Convergence Hypothesis: Toward an Institutionalist Critique" coauthored with Udo Ludwig, Journal of Economic Issues, vol. XLIV, No. 4 (2010): 943-961.
- "Neoliberalism, the Changing German Labor Market, and Income Distribution: An Institutionalist and Post Keynesian Analysis," coauthored with Udo Ludwig. Journal of Economic Issues, vol. XLIV, no. 2 (June, 2010): pp. 345-357.
- "Peirce, Veblen, and the Introduction of Cumulative Causation into Economic Science," coauthored with Oliver Whybrow, appearing as Chapter 11 in the book:The Foundations of Non-Equilibrium Economics: The Principle of
Circular and Cumulative Causation. edited by Sebastian Berger, London: Routledge, 2009.
- "Gunnar Mrydal and the Persistence of Germany´s Regional Inequality," coauthored with Udo Ludwig, Journal of Economics Issues vol. 43, no. 2 (2009) pp. 345-352.
- "Neoclassical versus Keynesian approaches to Eastern German unemployment: a rejoinder to Merkl and Snower" coauthored with Udo Ludwig, Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, Vol. 31, No. 1, pp. 167-185 (Fall 2008).
- "Continuity and Continuousness: The Chain of Ideas Linking Peirces' Synechism to Veblen's Cumulative Causation" Journal of Economic Issue Vol. XLII, No. 2, June, 2008, pp. 349-355.>
- "Explaining Persistent Unemployment in Eastern Germany" coauthored with Udo Ludwig, Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, Vol. 29, No. 4, pp. 601-619 (Summer 2007).
- "Economic Convergence Across German Regions in Light of Empirical Findings," coauthored with Udo Ludwig, Cambridge Journal of Economics, Vol. 30, No. 6, 2006, pp. 941-953.
- "Economics Theory and the Low Quality of American Beer", Economic Development (Privredna izgradnjai), Journal of Economics of Vojvodina , Vol. VLVIII, No. 1-2, pp. 5-16 (December), 2005.
- "Toward Agenda 2007: Preparing the EU for Eastern Enlargment" coauthored with Wolfgang Quaisser, Arbeiten aus dem Osteuropa Institut Muenchen, Working Papers, No. 240, February 2002, pp. 72.
- "Zapewnienie Gotowosci Unii Do Rozszerzenia Na Wschod" coauthored with Wolfgang Quaisser, published in Wspolnoty Europejskie, 9, 2001: pp. 17-22.
- "Europe's Eastern Enlargement" coauthored with Wolfgang Quaisser, Current History, November 2001: pp. 389-393.
- "Making the European Union Fit for Eastern Enlargement" coauthored with Wolfgang Quaisser, International Politics and Society, No. 3, 2001.
- "South Africa's Economic Prospects," Challenge, January-February 1996, pp. 52-56.
- "German Unification and the Market Adoption Hypothesis" with Udo Ludwig, Cambridge Journal of Economics, August 1995, Vol. 19, No. 4, pp. 491-507.
- "East Germany's Transitional Economy" coauthored with Udo Ludwig, Challenge, September-October 1994, pp. 26-32.
- "German Unification: What the Koreans Stand to Learn" Asian Perspective, Fall-Winter 1993, Vol. 17, No. 2, pp. 101-136.
- "Creating Germany's Mezzogiorno?" coauthored with Udo Ludwig, Challenge, July-August, 1993, pp. 38-44.
- "Toward An Autonomous Preference Theory of the East European Firm" coauthored with Peter A. Bod, Eastern European Economics, Summer 1992, Vol. 30, No. 4, pp. 57-67.
- "Sectoral Transformation and Economic Decline: Views From Berkeley and Cambridge" Cambridge Journal of Economics, June 1991, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 229-337.
- "Western Economic Aid for Poland: Fostering the Transformation from Planned to Market Economy" coauthored with Wolfgang Quaisser, published in the book: Das Balcerowicz-Programm: Konzept, Realisierungsschritte, Zwischenergebnisse, edited by Henryk Bak, Piotr Pysz, Roland Scharff. Erlangen: Institut fuer Gesellschaft und Wissensshaft an der Universitaet Erlangen-Nuernberg, 1991, pp. 227-258.
- "Contradictions in Hungary's System of Planning: Leading Towards the Transformation from a Planned to a Mixed Economy" Working Papers in Planning No. 84, Department of City and Regional Planning, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York, January 1990, 32 pages.
- "Hogyan segithet a nemzetkozi kozosseg Kelet-Europan?" (What Might the International Community Offer to East-Central Europe?) Valosaq (Hungary), No. 12 (1989), pp. 43-54.
- "Liberal Reformism and Declining Capital Formation in Hungary" The American Journal of Economics and Sociology (USA). Vol. 48, No. 4 (October, 1989) pp. 473-488.
- "Chinese and Hungarian Reforms: Parallels and Divergencies" Suedost Europa: Zeitschrift fuer Gegenwartsforschung (Germany). Jahrgang 38, Heft 5 (1989) pp. 257-271.
- "Urbanization and Dependency Reversal in the Republic of Korea" Asian Perspective (Korea). Vol. 12, No. 1 Spring-Summer (1988) pp. 84-106.
- Economic Planning and Economic Reform in Hungary" Osteuropa Wirtschaft (Germany). Jahrgang 31, Heft 2 (1986) pp. 107-116.
- "Hungary's 'Third' Model" Economics of Planning, Centre for Russian and East European Studies, University of Birmingham (Britain). Volume 20, No. 2 (1986) pp. 131-136.
- "Economic Thought and the Evolution of Institutions in Hungary" Journal of Economic Issues (USA) Vol. XX, No. 2 (1986) pp. 293-600.
- "Plan Bargaining in the Hungarian Economy: An Interview with Dr. Laszlo Antal" Comparative Economic Studies (USA). Vol. XXVIII, No. 2 (1986) pp. 49-58.
- "Reform Bargaining in Hungary: An Interview with Dr. Janos Matyas Kovacs" Comparative Economic Studies (USA). Vol. XXVIII, No. 3 (1986) pp. 25-46.
- "The Direction of Economic Decentralization in Hungary" Suedost Europa: Zeitschrift fuer Gegenwartsforschung (Germany). Heft 5, Jahrgang 34 (1985) pp. 270-278.
- Rasmus, Jack. 2012. Obama's Economy: Recovery for the Few. London: Pluto Press. Review appears in the Review of Keynesian Economics, vol. 2, no. 3 (Autumn, 2014): pp. 400-2.
- Tilman, Rick. Thorstein Veblen and His European Contemporaries, 1880-1940. Review appears in Forum for Social Economics, vol. XLIII, Issue 1 (2014): pp. 97-99.
- Reyes, Javier A. and W. Chrles Sawyer, 2011. Latin American Econoimc Development.. London: Routledge. Review appears in Journal of Economic Issues, vol. XLVII, No. 1 (March 2013), pp. 286-288.
- Baer, Werner and David Fleischer. 2011. The Economies of Argentina and Brazil: A Comparative Perspective. Northampton, MA: Edward Elgar Publishing. Review appears in Journal of Economic Issues, December 2012, Vol. XLVI, No. 4, pp. 1090-1092.
- Foucault's Archaeology of Political Economy. by Iara Vigo De Lima. Houndmills: Palgrave Macmillan, 2010. Review appears in Journal of Economic Issues, vol. XLV, no. 4 (December, 2011): pp. 1018-1020.
- Hodgson, Geoffrey and Thorbjørn Knudsen. 2010. Darwin’s Conjecture: The Search for General Principles of Social and Economic Evolution. Chicago and London: University of Chicago Press.
Review Appears in Journal of Economic Issues, vol. XLV, no. 3 (September 2011): pp. 743-745.
- Aidis, Ruta. 2004. Laws and Customs: Entrepreneurship, Institutions and Gender During Economic Transition. School of Slavonic and East European Studies, University College: London.
Review appears in Comparative Economic Studies. Vol. 49, No. 2, June 2007, pp. 320-321.
- Marangos, John. 2003. Alternative Economic Models of Transition, Burlington, Vt:. Ashgate.
Review appears in Journal of Economic Issues, March 2005, Vol. XXIX, No. 1, pp. 288-291.
- Mudimbe, V.E.. (1994) The Idea of Africa. Bloomington: University of Indiana Press.
Review appears in Financial Mail. (Zambia) June 13-19, 1995, p. 7
- Cohen, Stephen and John Zysman. (1987) Manufacturing Matters: The Myth of the Post-Industrial Economy. New York: Basic Books.
Review appears in Asian Perspective (Korea). Vol. 12, No. 2 Fall-Winter (1988) pp. 210-215.
- Deyo, Frederic. (1987) The Political Economy of the New Asian Industrialism. Ithaca: Cornell University Press. Review appears in Asian Pespective (Korea) Vol. 12, No. 1 Spring Summer (1988) pp. 191-194.
- U.S. Patent to Hall (utility)5,842,463 Portable Wood Burning Camp Stove Dec 1998
- U.S. Patent to Hall (design) 420,441 Portable Wood Burning Field Stove Feb 2000
- photo of three camp stove models in full operation