PSU Google Groups
Google Groups can be used to help you manage your work in Google Apps. The Google Groups tool has two main purposes - access control and mailing list management.
The Office of Information Technology (OIT) strongly recommends that faculty use the automatic Google Groups created for every class when they need to send announcements out to students, rather than using the email feature inside Banweb. For more information on using these automatically created groups, go to Automatic Class Google Groups.
Creating/Deleting PSU Google Groups
If you want to create a Google Group, you can request one using the Google Groups Request Form. Excessive group creation may be subject to review. Google Group owners or managers should request deletion when a group is no longer being utilized.
Note: All group email addresses will end with a common "-email@example.com" suffix.
Using PSU Google Groups
Once a group is created, it can be used by many of the applications managed by Google, for example:
- sharing a Google Drive file or folder to all members of a group
- inviting all members of a group a meeting
- sending emails to all members of a group
To manage a Google Group, go to groups.pdx.edu and log in using your Odin account credentials. You will see the groups that you belong to listed in My Groups. The "Manage" option is displayed next to each group you manage. Select that link to access the Management Tasks. From here, you can:
- Review and adjust the group’s configuration settings.
- Invite new members. You can invite people by entering one email at a time from people you have emailed, or you can copy emails in directly from a spreadsheet or existing account.
- OIT reserves the right to rename, disable, delete, or modify settings of groups at their discretion.
- Google Group owners, managers and participants must adhere to PSU's Acceptable Use Policy.
- Vulgarities will be handled with disciplinary repercussions and outcomes.
- Listing in the PSU Google Groups Directory is subject to approval.
- Non-PSU Google Group Membership
- Automatic Class Google Groups
- Google Groups Help
- Google Groups Learning Center
Contact the Helpdesk for additional assistance.