Rabbi Joshua Stampfer Assistant Professor of Israel Studies
Ph.D., Stanford University
M.A., Stanford University
B.A., Brown University
- JST 333U: Israeli Culture and Society
- JST 335U: Sex, Love, and Gender in Israel
- JST 379U: History of Zionism
- JST 388: History of Modern Israel
- JST 407/407H: Jewish and Israeli Dance History
- HST 409/509: Public History Seminar: Museums and Memory in Israel and the United States
- TA 362U: Contemporary Dance History
- Social and cultural history of Israel
- Public history and culture in Israel and the United States
- Dance history
- Arts and performance studies
- Gender history
- Embodying Hebrew Culture: Aesthetics, Athletics and Dance in the Jewish Community of Mandate Palestine. (Wayne State University Press, June 2013).
- "Constructing the City of Tel Aviv: Urban Space, Physical Culture, and the Natural and Built Environment," Rethinking History: The Journal of Theory and Practice. (Routledge, 2012).
- "Sporting a Nation: The Origins of Athleticism in Modern Israel," in Jews in the Gym: Judaism , Sports, and Athletics, edited by Leonard J. Greenspoon. (Purdue University Press, 2012).
- "New Israeli Rituals: Inventing a Folk Dance Tradition," Jewish Cultural Studies, vol. 3, edited by Simon J. Bronner. (Littman Library of Jewish Civilization, 2011).
- "Cultural Production in Tel Aviv: Yardena Cohen and the National Dance Competition of 1937" in Seeing Israeli and Jewish Dance, edited by Judith Brin Ingber. (Wayne State University Press, 2011).
- "American Jewish Dance," The Cambridge Dictionary of Jewish History, Religion, and Culture, edited by Judith Baskin. (Cambridge University Press, 2011).
Representative Public History Experience
- Former Curator, National Museum of American Jewish History, Philadelphia
- Visiting Professional Fellowship, Smithsonian Institution