Associate Professor of Judaic Studies
Ph.D. English, University of Washington, Seattle 1999
M.A. English, University of Washington, Seattle 1993
B.A. English, Yale University, New Haven 1990
- ENG 330U: Jewish & Israeli Literature
- ENG 340: Messiahs in Modern Jewish Literature
- ENG 367U: Jewish American Literature & Culture, 1880-1950
- ENG 367U: Jewish American Literature & Culture, 1950-Present
- ENG 373: Topics in Literature, Race, and Ethnicity
- ENG 410: Baghdad in Modern Jewish Literature
- Modern Jewish literature and culture (including messianism in modern Jewish literature; Jewish literature and modern nationalism in Europe and the Middle East; Jews and pornography)
- Hebrew and Israeli literature and culture (including Hebrew literature produced in the United States; modern Hebrew poetry and poetry translation; fantasy and science fiction writing in Israel; writing by American immigrants to Israel)
- Modern Jewish politics (including Zionism; American Jews and political conservatism; politics, power, and nationhood in modern Jewish literature)
- Letters to America: Selected Poems of Reuven Ben-Yosef, ed. and trans. Michael Weingrad. (Syracuse University Press, forthcoming).
- "American Hebrew Literature," The Cambridge History of Jewish American Literature, ed. Hana Wirth-Nesher. (Cambridge University Press, forthcoming).
- "Culture and the Classroom," Mosaic, May 2014.
- "Riding Leviathan: A New Wave of Israeli Genre Fiction," The Jewish Review of Books, Winter 2014.
- "The Language of Babylon," The Jewish Review of Books, Winter 2013.
- American Hebrew Literature: Writing Jewish National Identity in the United States. (Syracuse University Press, 2011).
- "Why There is No Jewish Narnia," The Jewish Review of Books, Spring 2010.