What are Study Tours?
Customized Study Tours are at the heart of our work.
First Stop Portland provides planning and logisitical support for visiting delegations interested in learning about Portland's sustainability practices. First Stop Portland builds an individualized itinerary for visitors based on their expressed interest in Portland. Programs are all custom developed--often three to five days in length. By organizing tours, workshops, lectures, presentations, and social events, First Stop Portland connect's visitors with the business, academic, and political leaders who know Portland's story best.
First Stop Portland is a non-profit housed at Portland State University. The program recovers its out-of-pocket expenses and planning fees based on the nature and complexity of the Study Tour. Transit passes are included in the Study Tour fee, but visitors are expected to carry all costs related to the visit including flights accommodation, non-transit transportation, meals, and translation.
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT
- Planning and logistics support for your itineraries, conferences, events
- Comprehensive Study Tour itineraries, including background information, field studies, site visits, mobile workshops, panel discussions, expert presentations, and debrief session
- Unparalleled access to Portland's experts from the public, private, NGO, and university sectors
- Passes to Portland's transit system
- Meeting spaces for workshops, lectures, discussions and debriefing
WHAT YOU MIGHT STUDY
- Multi-modal transit system--including pedestrian, rail, streetcar, bus, and bike--which makes Portland a model for transportation options.
- Urban-planning and design that promotes urban vitality, yet responsible development of the city core and surrounding neighborhoods.
- Green building innovation that demonstrate the many ways sustainability and design can successfully co-exist.
- Engagement with Portland's sustainability brain-trust who foster a strong voice and sense of place.