Tips for a Successful Appointment
Appointments at the Writing Center are either a half-hour or an hour in length. While this is adequate time for the kind of work that happens during a session, there are a few things that writers can do to make the most of the time they have with their writing consultant.
First of all, don't forget to schedule your appointment online. Then, before coming in, please consider the following to get the most out of your appointment:
- Bring the assignment: Your consultant will be able to help you more effectively if you can show them the assignment write-up from your instructor.
- Bring copies of your paper: Print out your paper and bring an extra copy with you so that you and your consultant will each have a copy to read.
- Come with a few specific questions: If you are able to arrive with perhaps two or three questions/issues you would like to address during your session, your consultant can work with you to create a plan for your time together.
- Identify key areas in your paper: If your paper is longer than five pages, please identify one or two sections that you would like to focus on during your session.
- Come in early in the writing process: You will get the most benefit from sessions scheduled early in the writing process; this provides plenty of time to revise your work. Your session will be less useful if you come in the same day the paper is due.
- Come prepared to brainstorm and revise: Often students come to the Writing Center expecting a proofreader. Rather than simply correcting errors, we know that improvement in writing happens over time and with commitment to the process. We encourage students to visit us multiple times for the same assignment.
- Come prepared to participate actively: Your writing consultant will ask questions, offer advice, and help locate areas for revision.