New Veteran Student Checklist

This checklist applies to all new students; including freshmen, transfer and graduate students. For additional information, review the Benefit Information Sheet.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at

  • Obtain transcripts from every college you’ve attended and have them sent directly to PSU Admissions. You can also gain credits for some of your military experience. You can send an official copy of your military transcript from the Joint Services Transcript website.
  • Submit a copy of your DD-214 as well as your Certificate of Eligibility (the VA sent this to you. It outlines the length and specifics of your entitlement). Do this as soon as you receive it in the mail! This document should be submitted to the Veterans Certification Office, located in the lobby of Fariborz Maseeh Hall.
  • Apply to Portland State.
  • Once you have been accepted to PSU, sign up for an Orientation. It is mandatory and the university does not bend on this. You will receive a bunch of great information about all things PSU, and you can meet with an adviser to help you register for classes. Also, look for the Veterans Resource Center table at the resource fair!
  • Fill out a Certification Form after you have registered for courses. This requires the signature of your Academic Adviser! Once the form is completed, email it to the Veterans Certification Officeat (You will submit an online Course Certification E-form in each subsequent term you register for classes).