Montgomery GI Bill® (Active Duty)/Chapter 30

Information on this page is taken from the Department of Veteran Affairs website, which is the authoritative source for all veterans benefits. Visit the Veterans Benefits Administration site or call Toll-Free 1.888.442.4551 for more information.

What Is the Montgomery GI Bill® - Active Duty?

The Montgomery GI Bill® - Active Duty, called "MGIB" for short, provides up to 36 months of education benefits to eligible veterans for:

  • College, Business, Technical or Vocational school
  • On-the-Job Training and Apprenticeship Program
  • Remedial, Deficiency, and Refresher Training (in some cases)
  • The cost of tests for licenses or certifications needed to get, keep, or advance in a job
  • Tuition Assistance: “Top-Up”
  • Correspondence Courses
  • Flight Training (in some cases)
  • National Tests

Note: VA does not approve schools or programs for benefits. Each individual state approves schools and courses. To find out if your school or program is approved for VA educational benefits under MGIB, contact your school’s VA Certifying Official, or call VA at the toll-free number below.

Who Is Eligible?

If you are currently in service, you may be eligible after two years of active duty. Please consult with the Education Services Officer at your installation, or call the toll-free number below, for information about your eligibility.

If you are separated from service, you may be an eligible veteran if you:

  • Entered active duty for the first time after June 30, 1985
  • Received a high school diploma or equivalent (or, in some cases, 12 hours of college credit) before the end of your first obligated period of service
  • Received an honorable discharge
  • Continuously served for 3 years, OR 2 years if that is what you first enlisted for, OR 2 years if you have an obligation to serve four years in the Selected Reserve AND entered Selected Reserve within a year of leaving active duty

Note: Different rules apply if you entered active duty before July 1, 1985, and in certain other cases. Call the toll-free number below for more information.

Are There Any Pitfalls?

You should be aware that the following pitfalls could cause you to lose all MGIB benefits:

  • General Discharge. You must have an honorable discharge to be eligible for education benefits. A “general” or “under honorable condition” makes you ineligible for education benefits.
  • Early Discharge. To be eligible with an early discharge, your separation reason must meet certain requirements. Call the toll-free number below (or if you are on active duty, check with your Education Services Officer) for more information.

How Much Does VA Pay?

The monthly benefit paid to you is based on the type of training you take, length of your service, your category, and if DoD put extra money in your MGIB Fund (called "kickers"). Typically, you have ten years to use your MGIB benefits. Click here to view the current rate tables.

How Can You Apply for Chapter 30 Education Benefits at PSU?

To apply for chapter 30 education benefits submit the application via the Veterans Administration Website, or by filling out VA Form 22-1990, Application for Education Benefits.

After applying, submit the following forms to the Veterans Certification Office in NH 104:


GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at