Search Google Appliance

Chapter 33 (Post 9/11 GI Bill)

Information on this page is taken from the Department of Veteran Affairs website, which is the authoritative source for all veterans benefits. Click here to visit their site or call Toll-Free 1.888.GIBILL.1 (1.888.442.4551) for more information.

Who is Eligible for Benefits under the Post 9/11 GI Bill?

Individuals who serve at least 90 days of aggregate service after September 10, 2001 are eligible.

To be eligible for 100% of the benefit, an individual must have served an aggregate of 36 months of active duty service, or have been discharged for a service-connected disability after 30 days of continuous service after September 10, 2001. NOTE: Active-duty service time required by graduates of a Service Academy or ROTC does not count toward the three years necessary to qualify for full benefits.

For those who served fewer than 36 months, the percentage of benefit ranges from 40% to 90%:

  • 90% - 30 total months (including service on active duty in entry level and skill training)
  • 80% - 24 total months (including service on active duty in entry level and skill training)
  • 70% - 18 total months (excluding service on active duty in entry level and skill training)
  • 60% - 12 total months (excluding service on active duty in entry level and skill training)
  • 50% - 6 total months (excluding service on active duty in entry level and skill training)
  • 40% - 90 or more days (excluding service on active duty in entry level and skill training)

For example, an individual with five months of qualifying service could receive 40% of the tuition benefit, 40% of the monthly housing allowance, and a maximum of $400 in a books and supplies stipend.

Veterans must have an honorable discharge to be eligible.

What Benefits Do Students Receive Under the Post 9/11 GI Bill?

  • Your full tuition and fees directly to the school for all public school in-state students. For those attending private or foreign schools tuition and fees are capped at the national maximum rate.
  • If you are attending a private Institution of Higher Learning in AZ, MI, NH, NY, PA, SC or TX you may be eligible for a higher tuition reimbursement rate.
  • For those attending a more expensive private school or a public school as a non-resident out-of-state student, a program exists which may help to reimburse the difference. This program is called the Yellow Ribbon Program.
  • Your Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA) is generally the same as the military Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) for an E-5 with dependents. Your MHA is based on the ZIP code for your school. For more information about the MHA rate click here.
  • An annual books and supplies stipend – paid to the student - up to $1,000, paid proportionately based on enrollment.
  • A one-time rural benefit payment of $500 to individuals who reside in a county with six persons or fewer per square mile (as determined by the most recent decennial census), and who either:
    • Physically relocate at least 500 miles to attend an educational institution or
    • Relocate by air to attend an educational institution (if no other land-based transportation exists.)

What Training and Education Programs Will be Paid for Under the Post 9/11 GI Bill?

Approved training under the Post-9/11 GI Bill includes:

  • Graduate and undergraduate degrees,
  • Vocational/technical training,
  • On-the-job training,
  • Flight training,
  • Correspondence training,
  • Licensing and National Testing programs,
  • Entrepreneurship training and Tutorial Assistance.

All training programs must be approved for GI Bill benefits.

What is the Eligibility Period?

The period of eligibility for the Post 9/11 GI Bill ends 15 years from the date of the last discharge or release from Active Duty of at least:

  • 90 consecutive days
  • 30 days but less than 90 days if released for a service-connected disability

Or: 15 years from the date of discharge for the last period of active duty service used to determine eligibility to meet the minimum service requirements of 90 aggregate days of service.

How Can You Apply for Chapter 33 Education Benefits at PSU?

To apply for chapter 33 education benefits submit the application via the Veterans On-line Application (VONAPP), or by filling out VA Form 22-1990, Application for Education Benefits.

After applying, submit the following forms to the Veterans Certification Office in NH 104: