Masters of Urban and Regional Planning (MURP) Admissions
If you have any questions regarding the admissions process, contact email@example.com or by phone at (503) 725-4045.
If you are interested in learning more about the MURP program, please contact Tracy Braden Academic Advisor/Instructor, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Nohad A. Toulan School of Urban Studies and Planning
Portland State University
P.O. Box 751-USP
Portland, OR 97207-0751
Applying to the MURP Program for Fall 2017
The deadline for applications to the MURP program for a Fall 2017 start is January 15th.
International applicants, it is strongly recommended that you have your materials to us by December 1st.
Applicants to the masters or doctoral programs must possess a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 in all undergraduate courses or must have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 in all graduate credits earned at accredited institutions. If admitted, you may be able to transfer a maximum of 24 of the 72 credits (quarter system).
- Transcript(s): A scanned copy of your official transcript from each post-secondary education institution you've attended (this includes any study abroad), must be included in your application.If admitted, you will then be required to submit a sealed official transcript to the Office of Graduate Studies before you can register for your first term at PSU. Official transcripts should reach us by the beginning of May. Registration for fall quarter typically opens towards the end of May. Please visit the Office of Graduate Studies for complete instructions on submitting transcripts.
- Statement of Purpose: This is an important part of the evaluation process and should be no more than 1000 words. Visit our FAQ page for more detailed instructions.
- 3 Letters of Recommendation: Recommendations should be from individuals familiar with your academic or professional background. It is recommended that the individuals chose have supervised you in some capacity. Recommendations are submitted electronically through the online application system. Visit our FAQ page for more information on recommendation letters.
- Resume/CV: A current resume or CV listing work and educational background.
- Optional GRE Scores (Recommended): GRE scores, taken within 5 years, can be reported on the application. Optional GRE scores should be sent to PSU using code 4610. You will also have an option to upload a copy of your GRE score into the online application system. Please note that you should make arrangements to take the GRE well in advance of the application deadline.
- TOEFL/IELTS Score (international applicants only): a TOEFL score of 550 or better, taken within the past two years.*
|Portland State University English Language Requirements|
|550||213||Minimum overall score of 80; Minimum subscore of 18 in reading & writing||Minimum overall score of 6.5; Minimum subscore of 6.5 in reading & writing|
- Financial Resources at TSUSP
- Graduate Research Assistantships
- Portland Planning Diversity Award Application
Through the admissions process, the Toulan School of Urban Studies and Planning aims to create a MURP cohort that will work effectively and in a balanced manner with one another. In general, we do not allow applicants to defer their admission except for unforeseen circumstances such as personal and family health emergencies. Because of the timing of MURP core courses, admitted applicants requesting a deferral are encouraged to defer until the following fall term. International applicants who are unable to attend and do not enroll in a graduate program elsewhere are eligible to defer their admission for one year.