Reporting Road Hazards

Please note that ODOT and local juridictions are now officially receiving safety reports but not crash reports. For crash reports submitting to ORcycle and also contacting the agency that has jurisdiction over the facility is the best way to ensure a prompt and proper response to the road hazard. 

ORcycle REPORT functions are useful tools to collect cyclists' feedback regarding safety issues and data regarding near-misses and crash events. The data collected by ORcycle can be utilized by transportation planners, researchers, and the general public. ORcycle report data is posted online but it is NOT communicated directly to all transportation agencies safety staff and maintenance crews. 

For your convenience selected ODOT contact information and guidelines from the "Get answers to common questions about ODOT" webpage are summarized below.

How do I report a road hazard? 

- Call one of ODOT's regional dispatch centers to report a road hazard. 

Portland metro – 503-283-5859

NW Oregon – 503-362-0457 

Southern Oregon – 541-858-3103 

Central Oregon – 541-383-0121 

Eastern Oregon – 541-383-0121

- For the City of Portland, call 503-823-1700, email, or visit this webpage.

- For Multnomah County visit this webpage.

Who is responsible for maintaining the various streets and roads in Oregon?   Who owns the road?

The Oregon Department of Transportation is responsible for state and interstate highways within Oregon. The U.S. Forest Service builds and maintains roads through federal forestlands and the Bureau of Land Management maintains highways on its federally-owned property. All other roads and streets are the responsibility of either local county or city governments. 

How can you tell the difference

If you are traveling a highway marked with a shield like those below, the Oregon Department of Transportation usually has jurisdiction over the highway: 


Sometimes, however, portions of state and federal highways that run through cities are maintained by city street departments. Streets within the boundaries of an incorporated city are generally the responsibility of a city public works department. 

How do I report a drunk or dangerous driver? 

Report possible drinking or drugged drivers by calling 1-800-243-7865. 

How do I report unsafe/unlawful operation of a state vehicle? 

Email or call the Oregon Department of Administrative Services (503) 373-7475. 

How do I report unsafe operation of a commercial truck? 

Call the Truck Safety Hotline 1-800-248-6782. 

For more information contact ODOT Citizens' Representative Office