Search Google Appliance

General Family Resources

The Resource Center for Students with Children has compiled lists of on-campus and off-campus resources to help you quickly and easily locate what you need. We are always striving to increase available resources and opportunities that improve the quality of life for students with children. If there are resources you do not see listed below, please share your needs and ideas with us. You can email us anytime at


On Campus

The Jim Sells Child Care Assistance Program provides childcare assistance in the form of a subsidy to eligible student families who could not otherwise afford the full cost of child care while attending Portland State University. Students with dependent children who are carrying 8 or more undergraduate or 5 or more graduate/postbac credits are eligible to apply. This program is open to students with children enrolled in either on or off campus childcare.

The program can pay up to 50% of the cost of child care, depending on the student's financial need. Even if the deadline has passed, check and see if we still have funds available. Non-resident, international and undocumented students are welcome to apply. To apply, please review the eligibility requirements before you print out the forms below and attach the required documentation. You can then submit the forms to our office by the deadline. You can also scan the forms and email them to if that's easier. If you have any questions, please stop by or give us a call on 503-725-9878.

Ron Ronacher Students with Children Emergency Loan Program is a small ($50) loan available once per term to students with children who are confronted with unforeseen financial crises.

PSU scholarship search. Scholarship search database.

PSU Short Term Loans provide short-term loans from $50 to $600 for enrolled students, up to twice per term.


211info. Dial 211 toll free from any phone to receive referrals for a variety of services - financial, health, housing, utilities, assistance, and more.

State of Oregon: Food, Cash, Housing.Assistance programs aimed at stabilizing and strengthening families, helping families and individuals become self-sufficient, reducing barriers to employment and improving the health and welfare of children.

Energy Assistance Programs in Energy Services offers direct weatherization as well as low-income energy assistance to qualified homes.

Oregon HEAT Oregon HEAT works with nearly 30 partner agencies located throughout Oregon to help low- income Oregonians with emergency energy assistance during the winter months.

State of Oregon: Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) Public health Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children.

Oregon Student Assistance Commission State agency dedicated to creating a college-going culture for all Oregonians by providing access through information, mentoring, and financial support.

Multnomah County Weatherization Program serves households throughout Multnomah County.  They can perform a home assessment to identify ways to reduce energy consumption.  For details call (503) 988-7423

Free Tax Preparation sponsored by 211 info and Cash Oregon. Dial 2-1-1 or 866-698-6155 for more info

PDX Diaper Bank works to provide families with disposable and alternative diapering options. We strongly feel that providing a cloth diaper option to families is important in order to provide additional health, financial, and environmental benefits

PTA Clothing Center Supplies PPS students with pants, shirts, jackets, and sleepwear.  To use the center, obtain an application from your childs PPS school office. Bring the application and your student to the center – located at Marshall HS Campus, 3905 SE 91st Avenue, Room B-60. The PTA Clothing Center is open for PPS students Monday or Thursday school days from 10:00am -1:00pm, September through the end of April. 

Oregon Summer Meals gives Oregon kids and teens (ages 1 - 18) get free summer meals and fun. Get other food assistance. There are over 600 summer meal sites in Oregon. Select a city to find a site near you.





Viking Gameroom. Billiards, bowling and gaming oriented for the traditional college student, but also for the student families who wants to relax and have fun together.

Rec Center Youth Program. PSU’s Campus Rec center offers students the opportunity to participate with their children while using and participating in specific facilities and activities.

Youth Swim Lessons

Family Spots. There are family friendly spaces tucked away all over the PSU campus and the surrounding community, and it's our goal to help you find them—we've compiled a list!


Portland Family Fun. Portland’s online network for family fun.

PDX Kids has a great list of events and activities

Click Here for local summer camps that offer scholarships

Click Here For a list of Summer Activities for Kids



University Housing. One and two bedroom apartments in the historic buildings: King Albert, Blackstone, Parkway and Broadway are generally reserved for families on campus. Students with Children may also live in One bedroom apartments in Blumel.


Co-abode. This program offers a unique “matchmaking” service to provide single moms with one or more children the opportunity to share housing, while pooling resources and finances with another single mom of their choosing.

Housing Connections. Housing Connections is a data base that connects people with a place to live, housing services and housing information.

College Housing Northwest provides housing for families



Our Lactation Spaces page lets you know all about lactation resource on campus.


Nursing Mother's Counsel of Oregon. Free breastfeeding classes, workplace lactation support, and 24 hour phone support.

Birthingway Breastfeeding Center. Free warm-line, free consultations, in-home visits, support groups, baby clothing exchange, and supplies.

Oregon Health Authority. Database of Oregon breastfeeding laws and resources.

La Leche League. Nonprofit, nonsectarian organization dedicated to providing education, information, support, and encouragement to women who want to breastfeed.

WIC is the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children. This public health program is designed to improve health outcomes and influence lifetime nutrition and health behaviors in targeted, at-risk populations. Nutrition education is the cornerstone of the WIC Program. Find out if you qualify.


OHSU Center for Women’s Health: OHSU lactation specialists are available every day of the year to help you and your baby get off to a healthy start. OHSU also offers breastfeeding classes for early preparation.



Student Legal Services are available to PSU students who are paying student fees and currently enrolled for 4 or more undergraduate credits or 3 or more graduate credits.


Legal Aid Services of Oregon. Legal Aid Services of Oregon is a non-profit organization that provides representation on civil cases to low-income clients throughout Oregon.
Legal Aid Foreclosure Help. Direct legal assistance and pro bono referrals for low income Oregon homeowners and tenants faced with foreclosure-related legal problems.

St Andrews Legal Clinic:  Law firm that provides legal services to low-income families. The Clinic plays a vital role in protecting families from domestic violence by providing legal advocacy for issues of adoption, child custody and support, protection orders, guardianship, parenting time, and spousal support.

Lewis & Clark, Low-Income Taxpayer Clinic: provides free legal advice for tax problems. Lewis & Clark Low-Income Taxpayer Clinic (LITC) gives students the opportunity to represent taxpayers of lesser means in controversies with the Internal Revenue Service, including audits and appeals before that agency, trials and hearings before the U.S. Tax Court, and appeals to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit. Student participants work under the supervision of an experienced tax attorney who is a full-time member of the law school faculty. The LITC accepts for representation only those cases that maximize student opportunities to learn and develop practical lawyering skills

Legal Aid Services of Oregon: Specializes in family, work, taxes, housing, disability and more.  Guide to legal information and free civil legal services for low-income persons and seniors in Oregon. Here you can locate information on a variety of legal issues, as well as information on how to contact programs providing legal assistance in Oregon

Oregon Law Center (OLC): Oregon Law Center (OLC) provides free civil legal services to low-income individuals to assure fairness on matters related to critical needs like food, shelter, medical care, income and physical safety.

Oregon State Bar, Child Support Services: The Oregon state government operates a child support program that is free and available to anyone who wants services. The Department of Human Resources is the agency in charge of the program. Cases are handled by the Department of Justices Support Enforcement Division and local district attorneys.

Lisa Kaufman Law LLC:  Lisa Kaufman spent the past 8 years developing and growing the Student Legal Services office at Portland State University and has recently opened her own practice. Her practice areas include family law, juvenile law, criminal law, and civil rights.
(503) 805-1200
Department of Human Services, Domestic Violence: Committed to enhancing safety for victims/survivors of domestic violence in the way DHS services are delivered and to developing systems that ensure coordinated community response to prevent violence



ASPSU Food Pantry. SMSU Room 325, or call (503) 725-3454. The pantry stocks donated canned goods and non-perishable items, including baby food. Some shelf space is dedicated to hygiene items such as pads, deodorant, toothpaste, and diapers. This service is free and confidential.

Here's a helpful video from Campus Rec about staying fit while pregnant


Parent Education Courses (Portland Community College). Courses taught by PCC to assist parents develop skills for successful parenting.

The National Women’s Law Center has created a Pregnant and Parenting Students’ Rights Toolkit. This toolkit provides a collection of resources designed to help college students across the country exercise their Title IX rights.

Early Childhood Services. Early Childhood Services is a free program for women who are pregnant, breastfeeding or parenting young children that offers home visits and childbirth education classes.

Parent Support Center. The Parent Support Center Program offers an array of parenting classes and workshops.