Vision & Mission
Curiosity ♦ Collaboration ♦ Communication
Mission of Portland State University’s Speech and Hearing Sciences Department
We promote the health of communities and solve real-life problems through education, research, collaboration, clinical practice and advocacy:
- We educate our students on communication and swallowing processes, sciences and disorders. As curiosity and critical thinking guide our teaching and learning environments, our students develop abilities to recognize breakdowns and the impact these challenges have on individuals and communities.
- We contribute to knowledge about communication and swallowing sciences through research, scientific mentoring, and the promotion of critical thinking.
- We develop our research and clinical practice in partnership with our community. The priorities and perspectives of the community give purpose to our work.
- We maximize the potential of individuals experiencing communication and/or swallowing challenges and partner with their families and care partners.
- We shape policy and standards through professional service and community empowerment.