Search Google Appliance


The purpose of advising is to assist students in planning their academic program and meeting program requirements and deadlines. In addition, advising provides students with the opportunity to discuss career opportunities in the fields of speech-language pathology and audiology.

Students should obtain a copy of the PSU Bulletin, as individual students are responsible for overseeing their academic program and ensuring compliance with procedures and regulations described in the Bulletin. Undergraduate students are responsible for completing two sets of requirements: 1) PSU general education requirements for a bachelor's degree, and 2) the Department of Speech and Hearing Sciences requirements for the major.

General Education Advising

Undergraduate students should seek advising for general education requirements through Tony Lewis, the College of Arts and Letters advisor.  Mr. Lewis may be contacted at or by calling 503-725-3822.

Admissions counseling is available through the Admissions Office located in Neuberger Hall or by calling 503-725-3511.

First-Year Mandatory Advising Requirement

Department of Speech and Hearing Sciences Advising

Individual and group academic advising for Speech and Hearing Sciences coursework is available to assist students in planning their academic program and meeting the requirements for earning a major in Speech and Hearing Sciences. A group advising session is included in the Speech and Hearing Sciences orientation day scheduled just prior to the beginning of fall term. Group advising meetings are also scheduled periodically throughout the academic year. Students should plan to attend the group advising meetings to obtain information about courses and requirements.

Individual academic advising can be arranged by scheduling an appointment with Susan Ginley, the SPHR Departmental advisor. When meeting with the undergraduate advisor for the first time, students should bring:

  • a copy of all undergraduate transcripts (including transcripts from courses completed at PSU) and a transfer evaluation, if applicable. The transcripts do not need to be official copies.
  • a completed Student Information Form. Students are responsible for notifying the undergraduate advisor of any information changes, i.e. changes in address, email address or name changes. It is important that student information be updated to ensure that all students can be reached and included in department mailings.

To make an appointment with Susan Ginley, email


Transfer/Change of Major Students

All students transferring to PSU from another college or university (or change of major students within PSU) must meet with an advisor prior to enrolling in SPHR courses.