Personal Injury

Student Legal Services advocates for students in relatively simple personal injury and/or traffic accident cases.  Student Legal Services does not have the resources to assist with cases involving extensive injuries or complex issues of fault and liability, nor can we advance costs on behalf of students. Most of these cases are resolved through negotiation.  In the event the damages claimed are $7500.00 or less ($10,000 or less after January 1, 2012), we may be able to provide in court representation under ORS 20.080.

If you have a personal injury or traffic accident, Student Legal Services recommends that all students:

  1. Gather names and contact information of witnesses immediately;
  2. Seek immediate medical attention;
  3. Report the accident to your insurance company;
  4. If there is more than $1500 in property damage or someone is injured, file a report with the DMV within 72 hours of the crash;
  5. DO NOT talk to the other insurance company before you speak with an attorney;
  6. Take photos of any injuries or property damage;
  7. If you are injured maintain a diary documenting how the injury and any pain associated with it has impacted your life and daily activities;
  8. If you miss work, document the hours missed and obtain a work release from your doctor; and
  9. Gather estimates for repair or replacement of damaged property.

Resources Online

If you are an eligible P.S.U. student and would like Student Legal Services' assistance with a personal injury matter, please contact us to schedule an initial consultation. If we are not able to assist you, we may be able to provide a referral to a private attorney who can.