Dental FAQs

What services are provided?

We provide standard dental care including exams, teeth cleanings, fillings (both amalgam-silver and composite-tooth colored), root canals, crowns, extractions, and custom bleach trays. Upon completion of a comprehensive dentist's exam you will receive a treatment plan which details what treatment we recommend and the estimated cost. If treatment by a specialist is recommended our providers can refer students.*

Who is eligible for treatment?

During the regular school year, students taking one (1) or more general credits a term are eligible to be seen on a fee-for-service basis. If you have more questions about eligibility or fees please ask our staff.

If I have private dental insurance, will the PSU Dental clinic bill my insurance for the fees?

Our clinic does not directly bill insurance companies. However, if your insurance allows you to receive treatment here and you are interested in reimbursement from your insurance, you may provide us with your insurance information and we will file a claim on your behalf for reimbursement. Our clinic is not responsible for the determination of the insurance, although, we will gladly provide information needed for the reimbursement.

How will I pay for treatment?

The majority of our services are billed to your student account. Your account can be paid in the same manner as your tuition. A few products which are made in a lab outside of PSU (such as night guards and crowns) require payment prior to treatment and students can pay in the dental clinic with a check, debit or credit card (Visa or Mastercard only). You will always be informed if prepayment is required.

What if I have a dental emergency?

If you experience acute dental pain, swelling, or excessive bleeding during our regular clinic hours please contact our clinic. We will get you in at our first available time, usually within 24-48 hours. Our clinic will always work to see emergencies as quickly as possible however, if we are unable to see you due to the volume of emergency patients or the severity of the emergency we may refer you to outside dental services.* If you have a dental emergency after hours please visit our Dental Community Resources page for where to go.

If I am going into the Peace Corps and need my dental records transferred to them, can you provide the information?

Yes. Our clinic will be happy to fill out the dental exam paperwork needed for the Peace Corps as long as the comprehensive exam and radiographs were taken at our office. If you did not have that done at our clinic and need to, you may call or stop by our office to schedule an appointment. Be sure to tell the staff the appointment is for the Peace Corps and bring the paperwork to the appointment.

*Please remember that any dental fees incurred outside our clinic are not subject to our discounted rates and students are responsible for all fees.

For more information read the Portland State University Dental Clinic Policy for New and Recall Patients.