REC CENTER IS NOW OPEN: The Rec Center is now open for PSU students, as well as our faculty, staff, alumni, and senior adult learner members.
Rec Center Reopening
The Rec Center facility and pool are now open for PSU students, as well as our faculty, staff, alumni, and senior adult learner members. Due to our reduced hours and capacity, a facility reservation is required and can be made up to 48 hours in advance.
A facility reservation is required to access the Rec Center, and can be made up to 48 hours before visiting the facility. For instructions on reserving time and logging in to the facility reservation system, visit our Facility Reservation webpage.
VIRTUAL REOPENING INFO SESSION
Join Campus Rec staff for a recorded 30-minute virtual reopening info session. Student Outreach Specialists Nuno, Sofia, and Jack share the most important information that you need to know before returning to the Rec Center.
REC CENTER REOPENING
The Rec Center facility and pool are now open for PSU students, as well as our faculty, staff, alumni, and senior adult learner members. A facility reservation is required to visit the Rec Center, and a swim lane reservation is required in order to access the pool. Face masks and physical distancing are required at all times while in the facility, with the exception of lap swimming. For more information, check our frequently asked questions below.
Based on sector-specific guidance, rec centers and gyms are allowed to reopen when county metrics have moved from the Extreme Risk to the High Risk level for COVID-19 cases. Multnomah County's status is reviewed every two weeks and has lowered from the Extreme Risk level to the High Risk level, which permits indoor rec centers and gyms to reopen.
Review the frequently asked questions (FAQs) below.
During this time of physical distancing, we are bringing the Rec Center to you! Stay active and engaged with virtual offerings, including:
- Virtual special events
- Virtual Group X fitness classes
- Group X on demand videos
- Virtual group training programs
- Virtual personal training options
- Outdoor Workshop Wednesday videos
- Mindful Meanderings podcast
- Sign up for our weekly e-newsletter
Explore our virtual recreation and wellbeing offerings.
Rec Center Reopening Video - Winter 2021
We are excited to welcome PSU students and our faculty, staff, alumni, and senior adult learner members back to the Rec Center. You’ll notice that things look and operate differently at the Rec Center. Yet behind the masks and spray bottles, we are still your Campus Rec community, committed to providing an inclusive environment where recreation and wellness opportunities inspire, empower, and educate. Our team will do everything we can to provide exceptional recreation and wellbeing opportunities, while also prioritizing the safety of our patrons and staff.
- Who Can Access the Rec Center
- Rec Center Hours
- Building Access
- Available Amenities
- Unavailable Amenities
- New Rules & Processes
- Before Your Visit
- During Your Visit
- Cleaning & Building Systems
- Stay Updated
WHO CAN ACCESS THE REC CENTER
In addition to safety measures and guidelines to protect employees and patrons, we will hold reduced hours of operation and limited occupancy, as per Governor Brown’s guidelines. For this reason, we are limiting Rec Center access to our fee-paying students, as well as our faculty, staff, alumni, and senior adult learner members.
We have not forgotten about all of our other members who have long been a part of the Campus Rec community. We will keep you informed as to when you can return to the Rec Center, and will continue to offer virtual programming. Stay active and engaged during this time of physical distancing with our virtual recreation and wellbeing resources.
All buildings on the PSU campus are locked until further notice, and are only accessible with a PSU ID card or ASRC access badge.
- Current PSU students, faculty, and staff can use a valid PSU ID card to access the Rec Center. If you do not have a valid PSU ID card, contact ID Services in order to obtain one.
- Alumni and senior adult learner members who do not have a PSU ID card or access badge should complete the ASRC Building Request Form. If you have questions, please contact Member Services Coordinator, Joe Hanseling.
Effective Wednesday, February 17
- Swimming pool - We are excited to announce the reopening of the pool, though the spa will remain closed at this time. A swim lane reservation is required in order to access the pool, and can be made up to 48 hours in advance. Visit the Aquatics webpage for details and swimming expectations.
- Locker rooms and lockers - The restrooms inside the locker rooms are still available for all users, but the showers and lockers are only open for day-use to those with a swim lane reservation. Locker rooms and lockers are closed to all other Rec Center users at this time. Towel and locker rentals are currently unavailable. Please remember to bring a towel and lock for your swim, and take your belongings with you at the end of your reservation.
- Short-term lockers - Available in the locker room for swimmers to use while they swim and shower. Locker rooms and lockers are closed to all other Rec Center users at this time.
- Day-use digital lockers - Available on every floor for all Rec Center users.
- Strength training and conditioning spaces - Capacity restricted; facility reservation required.
- Equipment check-out items - Items may be limited.
- Indoor climbing wall - Drop-in bouldering during staffed hours. First-come, first-served. Capacity of six people. Visit the Climbing Center webpage for details.
- Cardio zones - Capacity restricted; facility reservation required.
- In-person Group X fitness classes - Capacity restricted; facility reservation AND GroupEx Pro pre-registration required. Visit the Group X webpage for details.
- Personal training - In-person and virtual personal training offered based on client preferences. Both the trainer and client are required to wear masks during sessions. Visit the Personal Training webpage for details.
- Outdoor gear rentals - Items may be limited. Visit the Gear Rentals webpage for details.
- Fitness equipment rentals - Items may be limited. Visit the Gear Rentals webpage for details.
- Day-use lockers - Capacity may be limited.
- Drop-in sports - Limited individual and one-on-one drop-in sports on the gymnasium courts are available on a first-come, first-served basis. There is a 45-minute time limit on all drop-in activities in order to give more participants a chance to play. Sports equipment can be checked out at the Equipment Check-Out Desk next to Member Services. Visit the Drop-in Sports section for details.
- No guest passes
- No spa
- No towel service - Remember to bring your towel if you have a swim lane reservation.
- No locker rooms and lockers - Only open to those with a swim lane reservation.
- No lounge areas
- No Rec Sports office
- No water fountains - Water fountains throughout the facility are closed, except for the automatic water bottle filling station on the second floor near the locker rooms. Be sure to bring a filled water bottle with you!
NEW RULES & PROCESSES
FACE MASKS REQUIRED
Face masks are required to enter the facility and must be worn at all times while in the Rec Center. This includes during exercise and times of exertion, with the exception of lap swimming. Please adjust your workouts accordingly.
Portland State University and the state of Oregon require a face mask that rests snugly above the nose, below the mouth, and on the sides of the face. In accordance with current CDC guidance, PSU does not consider face shields, neck gaiters/buffs, or bandanas as acceptable substitutes for masks. Masks with exhalation valves or vents are not permitted, even if the ports are disabled. Visit PSU's Masks, Hygiene, and Sanitation webpage for more information.
Campus Rec staff will be wearing masks and we need you to do the same to help us in making the Rec Center a safe space. For more information, visit PSU’s Return to Campus webpage.
PHYSICAL SPACE GUIDELINES
We have spaced out equipment, added signage, and placed cues on the floor to indicate the physical distancing requirements and direction of travel required in the Rec Center. You may also find new exits from the facility and one-way staircases. In most cases, we will ask you to maintain the typical 6 feet of distance from others. In some instances, we may ask you to increase the distance between you and your neighbor. For example, if you and your neighbor are both breathing harder during your workout, you may be asked to distance yourselves more than 6 feet apart. Our staff are here to point you in the right direction and provide you with reminders as needed.
Our facility has an occupancy limit set by the state for the total number of people in the facility, including staff. The current occupancy limit is 50 people, and we cannot exceed that number. We are monitoring capacity using the facility reservation system for Rec Center facility use and the GroupEx Pro pre-registration system for in-person Group X classes.
Throughout the coming months, we may decide to set limits lower than the state requires. You will also notice that we have set capacity limits for spaces within the facility and have indicated these limits with signage. Our staff will monitor these spaces and help you in meeting these requirements as best we can.
Campus Rec members have the opportunity to reserve a time slot 48 hours before their visit to the Rec Center using our online facility reservation system - WebTrac. Instructions for reserving a time slot can be found on the Facility Reservations webpage.
BEFORE YOUR VISIT
DAILY SELF CHECKLIST
Review the COVID-19 Daily Self-Checklist each day before visiting the Rec Center.
IF YOU FEEL UNWELL
If you are not feeling well or are experiencing symptoms related to COVID-19 such as cough, shortness of breath, or fever, please stay home. If you are concerned that you have been exposed or are showing symptoms of coronavirus, contact your healthcare provider or call the SHAC Nurse Line with coronavirus related questions or concerns at 503.725.2515 or the 24/7 Nurse Advice Line (after hours) at 844.224.3145.
RESERVE A TIME SLOT
Visit the Facility Reservations webpage for more information and instructions on reserving a time slot through our online facility reservation system.
ITEMS TO BRING
- PSU ID card or ASRC access badge
- Face mask - Required to enter the facility and must be worn at all times while in the Rec Center
- Filled water bottle - One automated bottle filler is available on the second floor
- Any other equipment you might want for your visit
DURING YOUR VISIT
We are all in this together. Your efforts are important to your personal safety, as well as the safety of the community. Staff will provide friendly reminders to clean machines or areas before and after each use.
- Wear a face mask that stays in place and covers your mouth and nose at all times while you are in the Rec Center facility. This includes during exercise and times of exertion, with the exception of lap swimming. Please adjust your workouts accordingly. Campus Rec staff will be wearing masks and we need you to do the same to help us in making the Rec Center a safe space.
- Equipment and spaces will be modified to meet state and local physical distancing measures. Please note various signage, floor markings, and equipment modifications, and respect these new measures.
- Campus Rec staff will be frequently cleaning equipment between use and may ask that you relocate to a different machine or equipment area to allow for cleaning.
- We are no longer offering cloth towels and spray bottle stations as we have in the past. You will be issued your own spray bottle for the duration of your workout, and will find heavy-duty paper towels in single-sheet dispensers. Paper towels must be thrown away after a single use. Although this does not align with our sustainability standards, it is the best alternative available to us at this time. Spray bottles will be disinfected before being issued to you, and will be returned for cleaning following your workout.
- With reduced occupancy and hours, we ask that you refrain from sitting idly on weight benches and machines using your phone between sets. Please wrap up your set so that the next person has an opportunity to work out.
- To protect other patrons and staff, we ask that you limit the time spent at the Rec Center to your workout only and reduce interactions inside the facility. While we are excited to see you, the Rec Center is not being used as a gathering space or a place to hang out during this time. We hope to be able to offer a place to gather and socialize again in the future. Thank you for supporting the safety and wellbeing of our patrons and staff by complying with this request.
CLEANING & BUILDING SYSTEMS
Enhanced Air Handling
- To compliment the use of personal face masks, Campus Rec is working with building managers to ensure that our air exchange rates and mix of outside (fresh air) are set to the levels consistent with current health standards.
- Our automated systems are still set to turn on anytime someone is in a space. HEPA filters have been installed throughout the building.
- As an LEED Gold Certified building, we have a number of windows that remain operable.
Enhanced Cleaning Protocols
- In between the Rec Center's hours of operation, we close the facility for deep cleaning.
- Campus Rec staff are trained to meet new cleaning standards throughout the facility. You may notice additional hand sanitizer stations, as well as staff cleaning more frequently with spray bottles and towels or new electrostatic sprayers designed to wrap a disinfectant solution around equipment and facility touch points.
The Campus Rec Connect e-newsletter (sign up here) provides updates, tips, and resources to help keep our community informed, connected, active, and engaged. Our website is a great hub for accessing up-to-date information about our services and resources available to students. We are also actively connecting with our community on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.