Initial Proposal Summary
In 1987, a PSU Presidential Task Force concluded that "the current facility [Peter Stott Center] does not meet the needs of today’s students and serious thought must be given to the creation of a new building if we are going to meet everybody’s needs".
Fast forward 20 years and we are well on our way to finally taking a step in meeting the needs of Oregon's largest and most diverse campus.
The proposed Rec Center is unique and powerful:
- The site for the new Center is on the Urban Plaza, providing great access for students.
- We are using sustainable design features in our building construction and operations.
- Efforts are being made to keep money in Oregon by using Oregon products and businesses if environmentally and fiscally possible.
- Model accessibility features for people with disabilities.
- Unique partnership with University in providing academic classrooms, the School of Social Work, and other partners. Everybody benefits! Students are only paying for the Rec Center portion..
- This project will create new student jobs, nearly 25% of the operating budget goes right back to students in student pay.
- There will be over 125 student jobs in the new rec center.