In Memoriam

In Memoriam: G. Palmer Pardington III, 1939-2017

The Rev. George Palmer Pardington III, an Episcopal priest and a leader in religious education, died July 26 at age 78 at his Portland home. He served Portland State for nearly 20 years as Episcopal chaplain. A fourth generation clergyman, the Rev. Pardington was ordained to the priesthood in 1967. He held a bachelor’s degree from Washington & Lee University, Lexington, Virginia; two master’s degrees from General Theological Seminary, New York City; and a doctorate from Graduate Theological Union and the University of California, Berkeley. He moved to Portland in 1978 to be Episcopal chaplain for PSU and four other colleges. After he retired in 1997, he continued to serve on the staff of several Oregon churches, most recently as an associate priest at St. Stephen’s Episcopal Parish in downtown Portland. Throughout his career the Rev. Pardington worked for peace, human rights and, in his words, healing "a broken and suffering world." He trained mentors in the Education for Ministry program and served in leadership roles for many organizations, including the Oregon Episcopal Peace Fellowship and Ecumenical Ministries of Oregon. Even as his health declined due to heart problems and a lung disease, idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, he did yoga every morning, traveled to Costa Rica and Israel, and enjoyed reading and discussing theology and philosophy. He played cello, piano, and organ. One of the highlights of his final years was singing in Carnegie Hall with the Oregon Chamber Singers. He is survived by his wife of 52 years, Anne Simpson Pardington; son and daughter-in-law, Robert and Kristin Pardington; daughter and son-in-law, Suzanne Pardington Effros and Steve Effros; brother, William Pardington; and three grandchildren, Lila and Eva Effros and Ezra Pardington. A memorial service was held on August 26. Memorial gifts may be sent to St. Stephen’s, 1432 SW 13th Avenue, Portland, OR 97201, for a fund in the Rev. Pardington’s name. 


-–Doug Swanson

 

In Memoriam: Prudence Douglas, 1924-2017

 

Prudence Douglas, who served Portland State as an adviser to international students and a faculty member in English as a Second Language, died August 14. She was 92 years old. Ms. Douglas was born in Goudhurst, Kent, England, in 1924. At age 14 her family moved to Chilliwack, British Columbia, where she attended high school. She graduated from Oregon State University in 1946 with a bachelor’s degree in home economics. While at OSU she met Manfred Douglas. They married in 1946 and spent their first two summers living and working in a Forest Service lookout in Drain, Oregon. They then moved to Buffalo, New York, where Ms. Douglas worked as a dietician. Their daughter, Ann, was born in Buffalo. In 1953 the couple moved to Portland where a second child, Dave, was born. When the children grew older, Ms. Douglas entered Portland State and earned a master’s degree in Middle East studies in 1963. She remained at PSU as an adviser to international students.Lewis & Clark College hired Ms. Douglas to start a language institute and teach English as a second language. She earned her second master’s degree, in literature and linguistics, in 1974, and returned to Portland State, where she taught English as a second language for the next 12 years.Ms. Douglas retired from Portland State in 1986 but continued to teach, first in Costa Rica, then in China. In 1988 she and her husband moved to Manzanita. In 2002 she returned to Portland to live at Terwilliger Plaza, where she ran a meditation group and enjoyed many friends and family. Ms. Douglas is survived by her daughter, Ann, of Portland, and her son, Dave, of Lake Tahoe. At Ms. Douglas’s request, no formal service was scheduled.

-–Doug Swanson

 

 

In Memoriam: Barry F. Anderson, 1935-2017

C:\Users\Eileen\Downloads\anderson_barry_1.jpg

Barry F. Anderson, professor emeritus of psychology, died July 2 at his home in Portland with his wife and daughter at his side. He was 81 years old.

Professor Anderson was born Sept. 14, 1935, in Palo Alto, California, to Lillian B. Anderson, née Thompson, and Harold F. Anderson, a Swedish immigrant. During his primary and secondary schooling, he became involved in Scouting, and its emphasis on self-reliance, thinking ahead, and thinking of others left a deep impression on him. He achieved the Scouting ranks of Eagle and Ranger before graduating from Sequoia Union High School, Redwood City, California, in 1953. 

In 1953 Professor Anderson entered Stanford University. He worked three jobs to pay for his own education, and graduated magna cum laude in psychology and pre-medicine in 1957. Two years later he entered the master’s program in psychology at the University of Oregon. It was there that he met Aliki Ganiatsos, the daughter of Greek immigrants. They married, and, in the words of a fellow graduate student, became a “pair of bookends.” In 1963, Professor Anderson received a Ph.D. in experimental psychology, with an emphasis on cognition and problem solving, from Johns Hopkins University.

Professor Anderson observed that he “always seemed to have been interested in rationality—first, in how to define it, then in how to become more rational himself, and, finally, in how to help others do the same.”  His interest in rationality began early. He enjoyed high school algebra and delighted in solving algebra problems he found in the local newspaper. His love for maps revealed itself as he worked for his Surveying merit badge, learned to pilot the family cruiser around San Francisco Bay, found his way in the Sierra Nevadas, and competed in sports car rallies and Orienteering competitions.  

Professor Anderson’s interest in rationality became more sharply focused as he moved through his academic career, first as an assistant professor at the University of Oregon from 1963 to 1968, then as an associate professor, professor, and professor emeritus at Portland State. While at the University of Oregon, Professor Anderson wrote The Psychology Experiment, a best-seller among texts for teaching scientific method to psychology undergraduates. At Portland State he created The Wise Decider, a computer program that applies the same principles a decision analyst uses to evaluate possible courses of action to finding the best paths through life’s complexities.  

Among Professor Anderson’s publications were Cognitive Psychology: The study of knowing, learning, and thinking (1975); The Complete Thinker: A handbook of techniques for creative and critical problem solving (1980); and The Three Secrets of Wise Decision Making (2002). 

After he retired, Professor Anderson taught decision making to inmates at Columbia River Correctional Institution for several years. He also began studying Swedish, becoming proficient in the Swedish language and culture. He traveled to Sweden four times, tracking down relatives and establishing long-lasting relationships with them. 

Professor Anderson is survived by his wife, Aliki Anderson; his daughter, Delia Anderson; his son, Erik Olaf Anderson; his brother, David Anderson; and his sister, Judith Bauer. 

 -–Doug Swanson

In Memoriam: John W. Hakanson, 1920-2017

C:\Users\Eileen\Downloads\hakanson_john.jpg

John Hakanson, who, as a student at Vanport Extension Center—the forerunner of Portland State—advocated to make the institution permanent, died March 3 with his wife and children by his side. He was 96 years old.

Vanport was a wartime housing project established in 1942 in North Portland. In 1946 it became the home of Vanport Extension Center, an institution designed to handle the flood of veterans returning from World War II seeking to attend a public college. From its beginning, the Extension Center was considered temporary and would likely close once the supply of post-war veterans dwindled.

Dr. Hakanson, himself a veteran, was among many who argued that Vanport should become permanent. In an article he wrote for the Feb. 1, 1948, Sunday Oregonian, Dr. Hakanson argued forcefully for the Extension Center’s permanence. “Hakanson became the first person to bring together in writing the ideas of a permanent institution, a new building, and a downtown campus,” wrote Professor Gordon Dodds in The College that Would Not Die, a history of Portland State’s first 50 years.

Dr. Hakanson was persistent in his advocacy, even after he completed his studies at Vanport and transferred to Willamette University. Now living in Oregon’s capital and with the support of Stephen Epler, the Extension Center’s founder, he drew up a bill in January 1949 that called for a permanent institution in Portland and for the purchase of a building. “He had in mind Lincoln High School, a building constructed in 1912, which the Portland School District was planning to replace,” Professor Dodds wrote. Lincoln High, now known as Lincoln Hall, became the first building of Portland State’s downtown campus. On April 15, the bill—known as the Wilhelm-Logan bill—was signed into law by Governor Paul Patterson. 

John Warren Hakanson was born in Cottage Grove, Oregon, on May 21, 1920, to Esther Hakanson, a second generation Oregonian, and John Hakanson, a Swedish immigrant. He was drafted into the Army during World War II, served in New Guinea and the Philippines, and earned a Bronze Star. He returned as an Army captain and married his wife, Helen, in Eugene on Christmas Eve, 1945. 

After completing his undergraduate degree at Willamette, Dr. Hakanson earned a master’s from the University of Oregon in 1954. He taught at Myrtle Creek, Canyonville, and Harrisburg before moving to Berkeley in 1963 to pursue a doctorate. He helped launch Clackamas Community College, becoming dean of instruction in 1967 and president in 1969.  

Dr. Hakanson retired in 1984 but continued his involvement in local politics and community affairs. He served on several boards and commissions, including the Clackamas Economic Development Commission, the Oregon Trail Foundation, the Oregon Board of Nursing, and the board of directors of the Clackamas County Historical Society.

He is survived by his wife of 70 years, Helen Hakanson; his children, John, David, Lou Ann, and Rob; 11 grandchildren; and one great-grandchild. Remembrances may be sent to the Clackamas Community College Foundation at www.clackamas.edu/foundation. An online guest book is available at www.oregonlive.com/obits.

--Doug Swanson

In Memoriam: Glen L. Sedivy, 1957-2017

C:\Users\Eileen\Downloads\sedivy_glen.jpg

Glen Louis Sedivy, who served Portland State for 17 years as a Director and an Assistant Dean in the School of Extended Studies, died July 18 at the age of 60. 

Born Jan.2, 1957, Mr. Sedivy was the youngest child of the late Edwin and Winona Sedivy of Monmouth, Oregon. He grew up in the family home in Monmouth and attended the University of Oregon, where he met his wife, Rose, and received a bachelor’s degree in 1979 and a Master of Business Administration in 1981. He began his career as an analyst for Dole Food Company, Inc., in California and Hawaii. He returned to the Pacific Northwest to work for Pacific Telecom in Vancouver, Washington, before joining Portland State in 1994.

Mr. Sedivy worked under three deans—Sherwin Davidson, Cheryl Livneh, and Mike Burton—in the School of Extended Studies. He was originally hired as director of registration and budget; in 1996 he was promoted to assistant dean of administration and Summer Session. In 2006 he received another promotion, to assistant vice provost for the School of Extended Studies and director of Summer Session.   Professors Davidson and Livneh recalled Mr. Sedivy as the architect of effective systems that better served both students and the University, exemplified by his establishment of an automated registration system for Extended Studies’ unique non-credit offerings. 

He served on many University Committees, represented Extended Studies to other campus leaders, and advocated for adults seeking to improve their work in education, business, and nonprofits. Most importantly, Professors Davidson and Livneh said, "Mr. Sedivy brought exceptional loyalty and an irrepressible engergy and enthusiasm to those with whom he worked."

Mr. Sedivy's interests were diverse, ranging from golf, beekeeping, and gourmet food to gardening, classic cars, and British Naval history. He played the piano, French horn, and mellophone in high school, college, and in community orchestras, including the Honolulu Community Orchestra and the One More Time Around Again Marching Band. 

He is survived by his wife, Rose, and children, James and Kysa, as well as his brother, Dean Sedivy (Connie), of Monmouth; sister, Nancy Boerem (Steve), of Florida; and grandchild, Freya Marie Sedivy.

--Doug Swanson