APPLICATION TO GRADUATE PROGRAM IN APPLIED PSYCHOLOGY
PLEASE NOTE: The Graduate program in Psychology at Portland State University does NOT provide training, prepare for licensure in, nor offer degrees in Clinical or Counseling Psychology.
We will not offer terminal M.A. or M.S. degree programs for the 2017-18 Academic Year. Admitted students entering the Ph.D. program will earn a Master's degree en route to the Ph.D. unless the requirement is waived based on a previously conducted empirical Master's thesis.
We will begin accepting applications to the Ph.D. in Applied Psychology graduate program for admission Fall 2017 on September 25, 2016.
The deadline for all applications is midnight December 15th. There is NO flexibility on this deadline.
NOTE: The graduate program in Psychology at Portland State University admits new students once a year in the Fall ONLY.
Admission to graduate study is granted on the basis of evidence of preparedness to undertake advanced work and the probability of successful completion of the degree.
Admitted students must have:
- A B.A. or B.S. degree from a regionally accredited institution (may be in progress at the time of application, but must be completed before admission can be finalized.
In general, admitted applicants have:
- Preparation in research methods, statistics, and experimental psychology or equivalent.
- At least a 3.25* undergraduate GPA, with a mean of approximately 3.80.
- Completed the GRE and scored in the 70-80th percentile (or above) in Verbal, 60-70th percentile (or above) in Quantitative, and 4.5 or above on the Analytical Writing section.
REQUIRED SUPPLEMENTAL MATERIALS:
Before you apply:
- Evaluate the Minimum Admissions Requirements.
- Understand which Transcripts are required and at what time.
- Determine if you meet the English Language Proficiency requirement.
- Recognize if International Documents & Certified Translation are necessary.
- Please see the Funding Possibilities & Graduate Assistantships link in the lefthand sidebar for funding available to graduate students. This link will take you to a list that contains links to general graduate student funding and support, as well as to more specific listings of funding sources, including funding for minority graduate student scholars, and funding for dissertation projects.
How to apply:
- Create an account through CollegeNET ApplyWeb (see link below)
- You will be able to save your application until you are ready to submit, and check the status of your application through this account.
- You cannot make a correction to a submitted application
- However, if you need to update or change the contract information of your letter writers, you will be able to do so until December 15.
GENERAL TIMELINE FOR REVIEW OF APPLICATIONS:
Complete your application and submit it by midnight on December 15, 2016.
- In January or early February, the Graduate Committee meets to review and discuss applications
- Beginning March 1st, graduate advisors may be in contact with applicants
- All applicants will be notified of application status by April 15th.
- For technical issues with the application, please contact CollegeNet (https://corp.collegenet.com/company/contact-us.html) at Support: 503-973-5213 or email@example.com
- For all other questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org, and we can direct you to the appropriate contact.