Message from Interim President Percy on settlement with SEIU
Author: Stephen Percy
Posted: September 28, 2019
Dear Campus Community,
I am pleased to announce that Portland State and Oregon’s six other public universities have reached an agreement with SEIU to avert a strike. It’s great news that on Monday our full campus community will be here to welcome our new and returning students on their first day of class.
I am also grateful for the commitment of our more than 600 SEIU members, who are critical to our academic and administrative departments. They have dedicated themselves to the success of our campus, our students and our faculty.
The details of the agreement reached by Oregon’s public universities and members of the SEIU bargaining team are as follows:
- 3.0% cost of living adjustment (COLA) for all classified employees effective July 1, 2019; and 2.10% COLA for all classified employees effective July 1, 2020 (total of 5.10% in raises over two years)
- Full step wage increases of 4.75% in each year of the next contract, representing a total of 9.5% over two years. This offer applies to more than 70 percent of classified employees not already at the top step of their classification
- A longevity premium of 2.5% given yearly to classified employees who have been at the university at least five years and have been at the top of their salary range for at least a year from their salary eligibility date
- A commitment to keep entry level-wages at all universities above Portland-metro area universities’ minimum wage by eliminating steps of the salary schedule that are below that rate
- Moved 15 job classifications to higher salary ranges
- Provided employees with 48 hours of paid time over the course of the 2-year agreement to be used in the event of campus closures and delayed openings due to inclement weather or hazardous conditions
- Agreement to keep meal costs at current rates for dining service employees at the University of Oregon
- All other benefits (healthcare, pension, holidays, vacations, sick leave, personal leave, bereavement, and others) remain as is in the current contract (2017-19) for the next contract
I want to commend the efforts of both sides for working diligently to reach a settlement. PSU holds all of our employees in high regard and shares a collective responsibility to respectfully serve our students and campus community.